Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mmm... got me a nice new fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Sep 15, 2002.

1. hey all, went on a trip to some town with my mum yesterday and spotted a music store, so i went in to see what basses they had, and i was quite dissapointed, about 100 guitars, and about 10 basses, but there was a music man, fender jazz and a couple of warwicks there so i wasn't too dissapointed

straight away i walked up to the MM (sting ray 5)and pluged it in, i was quite excited about finally getting to play one of these, after hearing all the hype about them here, and to say the least, i was very dissapointed. if i didn't know any better i would have thought i was playing a 400 quid bass rather than 1000+

then i pluged in the fender, and all i can say is...WOW, i have played fender jazz's (MIM) before and thought they were ok, but this felt, played and sounded better than all of them put together! if i had the money i would have bought it without a second thought.

then the shop assistent came out with this fretless bass and said "you're pretty good on them, but lets see how you do on this", so i took it off him and pluged it in and i was absolutely blown away! i have a fretless yamaha RBX 260 (i defreted it myself though) but it just didn't compare to this thing, so after about 10 mins of playing i asked him how much "140 quid" (around $200 i think) he said, so i ran downstairs and asked my mum if i could have it, and after a bit of nagotiating (sp?) she said yes, so now i have a new stagg fretless, woo-hoo!

here's a brief description (i don't have the excact specs)

4 strings
    fretless, unlined
    flatwound strings
    PJ p'up config
    3 controlls (all seem to be volume :confused: )
    black body and hardware

and heres a quick pic

l8rz

Tom

P.S. if anyone has any info or have used stagg basses please tell me as i have never heard of them

2. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Congrats on your new bass. I don't know anything about Stagg basses, but that looks very nice. It's got that all black, stealth bomber look!!! I don't play fretless but I have picked a few up, and it seems you can really tell the difference between a defret and a bass that was designed to be fretless.