1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mmm... got me a nice new fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Sep 15, 2002.

1. hey all, went on a trip to some town with my mum yesterday and spotted a music store, so i went in to see what basses they had, and i was quite dissapointed, about 100 guitars, and about 10 basses, but there was a music man, fender jazz and a couple of warwicks there so i wasn't too dissapointed

straight away i walked up to the MM (sting ray 5)and pluged it in, i was quite excited about finally getting to play one of these, after hearing all the hype about them here, and to say the least, i was very dissapointed. if i didn't know any better i would have thought i was playing a 400 quid bass rather than 1000+

then i pluged in the fender, and all i can say is...WOW, i have played fender jazz's (MIM) before and thought they were ok, but this felt, played and sounded better than all of them put together! if i had the money i would have bought it without a second thought.

then the shop assistent came out with this fretless bass and said "you're pretty good on them, but lets see how you do on this", so i took it off him and pluged it in and i was absolutely blown away! i have a fretless yamaha RBX 260 (i defreted it myself though) but it just didn't compare to this thing, so after about 10 mins of playing i asked him how much "140 quid" (around $200 i think) he said, so i ran downstairs and asked my mum if i could have it, and after a bit of nagotiating (sp?) she said yes, so now i have a new stagg fretless, woo-hoo!

here's a brief description (i don't have the excact specs)

4 strings
    fretless, unlined
    flatwound strings
    PJ p'up config
    3 controlls (all seem to be volume :confused: )
    black body and hardware

and heres a quick pic

l8rz

Tom

P.S. if anyone has any info or have used stagg basses please tell me as i have never heard of them

2. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Congrats on your new bass. I don't know anything about Stagg basses, but that looks very nice. It's got that all black, stealth bomber look!!! I don't play fretless but I have picked a few up, and it seems you can really tell the difference between a defret and a bass that was designed to be fretless.