Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mmmmm 77 P-bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpankBass, May 22, 2002.

1. Local shop just got a 77 P-bass (The serial number starts with 'S7' and IIRC that means 77. Correct me if I'm wrong!) with that natual finish and maple fingerboard look I love so much. This bass tempts me. Sure it has its fair share of dents and scratches, but I think I can live with that. Everything looks stock as a block on it. I thinking of turning in my MIM Jazz for this bass. Maybe...I still have to think about it. I have some time to think about it because its not going to be available for sale until 6-15.
    So how much do you guys and gals guess this will go for?

2. I have been watching Mid 70's P basses on Ebay, Is there any plus to buying one of these over a newer one other than nostagia? Do they really sound better? I've never had the opportunity to put a new P bass up against a "vintage one"...Hopefully some here has an opionion on this, seriously looking for one.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I would say in the 600-800 range depending on the condition and the dealer,

4. I'm a pbass freak and can't help adding my 2 cents. I own a '71 a'69 a'66 a'62 and several reissues and in my opinion the late,even mid 70's models were substandard basses that are going for way too much money now, just because of that "aura" attached to them.Funkster, Iam seeing those basses going for over 1,000 bucks in some cases and it makes me really sick because imho they are a bad representation of the p bass. That is not to say however, that you won't run across a gem.Friend of mine came across this Fiesta Red "78 that is just a beauty, so go with your gut, but don't let yourself get skewered by the dealer....

5. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i agree..i dont understand why mid 70's fender are in such demand..ive been watching them on ebay as well..play it though..it might be just what your lookin for

6. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I traded a 78 stock P-bass that was blond with a maple fingerboard for a new MIM Jazz bass. I got about $315.00 in my pocket plus a new lighter bass that sounds good enough to me. I used the extra money to buy a smaller second amp. I would say by what they gave me in return, that the actually gave me about 650.00 for my p-bass. It was in pretty good condition with a hardshell case. I hope this helps. Also the excess weight of the instrument killed me on 3 set weekend gigs after working my full time job all week. I'm very happy with my new J-bass.

7. Hmm. My MIM Jazz V seems very heavy compared to this bass. Granted I've only played this bass sitting down.

I'd just like to clear up that when it was made doesn't matter much to me. If it sounds good, then I like it. I just thought I'd tell you guys it was a 77 so you guys could help me get a ball park estimate.

Well I'm going to go spank around on it again today. I am good friends with all the employees and the owner there, so I could see how much they would sell that to me for when it comes available. We'll see from there...

8. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    wheres this music store at..im in long beach and am always looking for new shops..

9. Why is it that the 70's p-bass was so substandard to 60's or the newer one's?..... I own a fretless 77p-bass. It sounds and plays like a ma-thafu#ker.... It is kind of heavy though. I would sell it for $1000. :D If it sounds good and the price is right get it.

10. It'll probably sell for ~$750 or so, give or take a few dollars either way. The problem with 70's Fenders was inconsistency...some were good and some weren't. Fender was bought out by CBS in, I think, 1966. It took CBS a while, but they eventually started messing around with tried and true designs and coming out with "innovations" like the 3 bolt neck. I'd play it as much as I could...bring your amp to the shop (if that's feasible) and test it or, if possible, rent it for a gig and see how it works for you. I wouldn't automatically say to buy it or automatically reject it because of when it was built. My main squeeze for many years was a '72 Jazz Bass and I honestly like '70's Jazz Basses more than the '60's models.

11. Please give me a good example of a not so good Fender bass from the 70's.... My 77, p-bass is a little heavier than most, but I wouldn't call it a bad bass because of that.

12. Its a little music shop on the border of Anaheim/Garden Grove on Katella and Eucild called Pete's Music. I can give you more precise directions if you really are planning to make the trip out here. Actually I heard there is a review of the shop on digialcity.com or something like that. I haven't checked it out yet though...

p.s. DON'T STEAL MY BASS!! :D

13. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    haha..i knew you would say that..i know where that is im gonna check it out..