1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mmmmm, koa (Warmoth content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Here are some shots I took earlier today. Body (koa) and neck (bubinga) are Warmoth Showcase items. The bass sounds as good as it looks.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    congrats on the build.

personally, not something iwould play. butlooks great!

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Looks great, except for that black know type spot above the bridge, on the upper body.

The gold hardware is great though, nice touch.

4. Thanks! I like gold hardware too, although alot of people don't seem to care for it. Notice how one knob (tone) is a different shape. I decided to leave it mismatched to differentiate it from the 2 volume controls.

5. What's the weight like?

6. jesso

jesso

May 30, 2008
    Congrats thats a pretty bass. I love those warmoths. Something slinky about em.

7. According to my bathroom scale it's 9 lbs.

8. Wow.......that looks great. Very nicce job!

9. Not bad. I would have figured a lot heavier, I guess.

10. My first thought with that neck was "how heavy is it?" But 9 lbs. isn't bad. I like gold hardware too. I think it looks classy.

11. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    It looks great, Koa is a nice choice of wood and the bubinga neck pairs nicely with the Koa.

Congrats.

12. I was concerned about the weight of the neck, but it came to 2 lbs 9 oz on my accurate kitchen scale. 9 pounds is perfectly acceptable, good thing it's the Dinky style body. I also have a full sized walnut body bass, that thing is hefty!

13. Thanks, and I agree the woods go nicely together.

14. C'mon Spade, you and I both know that a bass has to be heavy to sound good. :D

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    That is the rule........:ninja:

16. Just for comparison, here is what the body looked like before finishing:

B405A.

17. What did you finish it with to get it that color?

18. It's an oil finish. If memory serves me right, it was Danish oil.

19. Wow, that's a big change in color. I would have thought it had a stain on it or something.

20. Simply "wetting" the wood, like with naptha, will dramatically change the colour. I've seen Warmoth do this on their showcase to illustrate what the body looks like when it's sprayed clear.

Another example - here's what unfinished walnut looks like:

b1448a.

Here's what it looks like after tung oiling (2 different bodies but you get the idea):

Warmothwalnut2.