Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM's - Lane Poor vs. ?????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by silky smoove, Dec 8, 2004.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    In your opinion, how does the Lane Poor MM humbucker stack up against the other versions of the MM humbucker. I just picked up a Modulus Flea 4 from fellow TB'er 'Modflea' (very pleasant transaction and I would definitely by from him again if such an opportunity presented itself) and its equipped with the Lane Poor MM. The bass actually sounds quite good, but I'm just curious as to the tonal difference incurred because of the Lane Poor. I've heard some say that its the holy grail of MM pickups, I've heard others say that its no better than anything else out there. I've even heard some say that its garbage.

The versions I'm especially interested in are the alnico magnet type, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out all things ceramic. Keep in mind that the type of tone I'm going for is very aggressive and will likely be run through a custom made single pickup version of a John East U-Retro preamp.

Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I'd personally go with the "holy grail" opinion . . . but personal tastes vary.

Look at it this way: If you get the bass WITH the Lane Poor, decide you don't like it, you can drop a Bart or Duncan in there, and sell that Lane Poor for LOTS of money on Ebay. I saw one go for $450 awhile back . . . no kidding, just the pickup . . . USED.

3. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^That thought had crossed my mind. Selling the Lane Poor would likely fund both a new pickup and at least part of a Sansamp BDDI (which is next on my list of things to buy). Ugh.... I really wish there was a way to A/B these things, and since nobody anywhere near has a Flea its going to be hard to do that... hmmmm... must give this some thought.

4. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Just gonna give this one little *bump* and then let it die...

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Carey Nordstrand is now making an incredible alnico MM replacement pickup. He set out to replicate the early '76-'78 Stingray tone, and really nailed it. You would need to verify that it fits in a Flea and that the screw holes are the same.

These are $100 new, one of the best upgrades you can do for a MM pickup bass.

6. Man that bass must sound killer! Those pups are THE HOLY GRAIL!!! Congrats man, that is a sweet bass.

7. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Well, I'm not to keen on forking out $100 on something that might be worse than what I've already got, but I'll likely just go buy one of the Nordstrand alnico replacements. Do a recording with the bass as is right now (LP equipped), swap out the LP for the Nord, record the same thing through the same rig with the same settings. A/B them, and then make my decision. Worst case scenario, I'll be out $100 (unless I could sell the Nord if I don't like it). Best case scenario, I like the alnico Nord better than the ceramic LP, and I can sell the LP for a reasonable price, at least enough to cover the price of the new pup.

8. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    I'll second Todd's accolades of the Nordstrand. In fact I bought a used 3-coil version from him to fit my Sterling. It is focused, old-skool and in-yer-face-belligerent, with all the subtlety of a sheetmetal worker on amphetamines.
    Dial it back and it purrs like a hemi ..with a full-race cam...(?!)
    I now find the parallel position to be much more useful to me than with the stock p/u. More personality and detail in the mids whilst retaining the thump. With an SVT this thing would vaporize cinderblocks at 100 yards.
    (I'm illiterating a bit here, but it was fun!)

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Its funny that you said it that way because the company I work for currently employs about 60 union sheet metal workers!

10. mburd

mburd

Aug 20, 2004
    Maine
    cool.. can you make an ambient recording? Sometimes there are really cool polyrhythm things going on in industrial environments.
    Tho..on second thought.. who wants to listen to work when you're not at work..
    ;)

11. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ha ha, that's pretty funny stuff. I'll see what I can do. Most of the guys are employed out in the field, but there are about 8 of them working out in the shop right now. I'll see what I can do.

12. Hey - if you buy the Nordstrand and make a recording, be sure to post it.

Have you guys seen "Dancer in the dark" with Bjork? There's some polyhythms going on there.

13. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    hej silky smoove,

if you like the nordstrand better than the lane poor, can i have your lane poor pickup? :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

14. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    ^^^pm sent