1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MMW play John Zorn

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lobster11, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    "Zaebos: Book of Angels, Volume 11"

John Zorn compositions interpreted by Medeski Martin & Wood.

Wow.

2. AWESOME

3. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    You mean "awesome" in the sense that you already have the disc and love it, or "awesome" in the sense that you're psyched to learn about it and now play to get it?

4. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Ha! So funny that you'd say that, because I just now -- immediately before popping over here to TB -- was scouring the internet looking for the best price on that very cd.

I'm actually (I'm rather embarrassed to confess) something of a newbie when it comes to Zorn; I came to the Zaebos disc from the MMW side. I've been a big fan of MMW for years -- even attended (and was blown away by) their inaugural "Camp MMW" last summer -- and this disc has opened the door for me to Zorn. Motivated by hearing (and having my mind melted by) this disc, I've done a bunch of research on Zorn recently, and it looks to me that lots of folks have been tapping into his vast songbook. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything "odd" about these two releases appearing at around the same time. And I can't wait to hear a different group of musicians' interpretation of a different collection of Zorn compositions.

5. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    This disc is pretty cool. It was released August '08, so its not totally new news. It kinda got overlooked between Let's Go Everywhere and then the excitement over the Radiolarians series, but is much more adventurous than either of those discs.

6. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    It occurs to me now that I might have misinterpreted your "kind of odd" comment. Maybe you thought it was odd that two BOA albums came out so close together in time? Or because Volume 11 (MMW) came out before Volume 10 (SC3)?

OK, I give up. So what exactly IS it that you thought was "kind of odd"?

7. i meant awesome because i am looking forward to getting it. I love Zorns work. It makes me think.And a lot of it is mind blowing.

8. Just because they were released so close together, and that I haven't heard of the MMW cd until now. I must be slackin.

9. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Then by all means you must find a copy of the Prelapse album: a quintet of young Boston ex-pats playing a ton of Zorn pieces from the Naked City songbook (most debuts that never got recorded by the original Naked City). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prelapse

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was some heavy ****!

Downtown Music Gallery seems to be stocking it for $20.