1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mo Bass Head or Mini Mo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Feb 26, 2008.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    Hey everyone

so i've recently kinda been searching for either a mini mo or mo bass head. i'd totally use this thing because i'm super anal about having gear clutter infront of me. so this way its all organized.

i can't decide though...

the mini mo would dbe cool because i can put it through whatever power amp i want..

but

the mo bass head is sweet because 900w birdged into 4 ohms is plenty. ( i've heard that swr's arent too acurate though)

what does everyone think?
    there is a mo bass head and foot controller on e bay, but there is a minimo pre for sale in a city near me(gotta see if seller will seperate first though)

ideally i'd like to keep it in a 4 space rack.. so if i got the mini mo, i'd try for a stewart 1.2 with no room for a rack tuner..

if i got the mo bass head i could get a rack tuner/power conditioner combo to put in there aswell and be set.

should i just get the mo bass?
    900 watt bridged into my 4ohm schroeder 410 (1400w 4ohm) should be plenty eh?

currently i have a eden nav going through a ca9 bridged mono (1600 watt) into her

thoughts? recomendations?

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    c'mon peeps

3. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I never got play the Mini Mo but I had the Mo'Bass for years (just sold it last year) and it was a truly special head... Don't really know about the inaccuracies of the wattage ratings but mine was thunderous through my Megoliath 8x10 - but then again maybe it was more the can than the head.

All I know is that I enjoyed having the Mo'Bass and regret selling it... Great SWR tone and awesome quality effects to boot.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I had a MoBass head, though I didn't have any SWR cabs to use with it. I found that with my cabs at least it was disappointingly quiet. It did sound great though, but at over $1000 and not enough volume for my needs I had to return it. I'd go with the preamp, unless you found the head version for super cheap. If it had been $500 instead of more than twice that, I would have kept it and ran it into another amp to get the volume I needed.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    so go with the pre amp eh?

does it sound awesome or what???

6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    That's just my opinion, but I'd let the price decide - if you can get the head for not much more, might as well, but it may or may not be loud enough for you. It did sound wonderful though, and the effects were very cool.

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

how was the clean sound? i read that it was crap
    i'd definetly use the effects

8. I have Mini Mo' as my preamp like it for several reasons over the Mo' Bass:
    • There were some build issues with the Mo' Bass, such as the pots being connected to the internals by a long shaft (shut it ;) ) and loosening/wobbling after a time. This as well as a few other minor problems were corrected in the Mini Mo' - it's basically Mo' 2.0. :D
    • The Mini Mo' has several additional features, such as addition level controls on the Overdrive and Chorus effects that make it much easier to match Unity Gain with your clean tone, as well as additional outputs.
    • The Mini Mo' had a "Tuner Out" on the "Mo' Control 2" pedal as well as the back of the unit so you can easily attach a tuner pedal on the floor or a rackmount - I'm unsure if the Mo' Bass has that.
    • The Mini Mo' came with its "Mo' Control 2" pedalboard whereas you had to purchase the Mo' Bass' "Mo' Control" 'board separately. You're lucky you've found a Mo' Bass auction with the pedalboard, but if you get outbid you don't see many together, compared to the Mini Mo' that typically has the pedalboard.
    I also personally like the idea of a preamp/poweramp combo as opposed to a head because of the upgradeable power option, but that's *my* choice. The clean sound is far from "crap", but if you're not a fan of solid state ultra-clean tone, this isn't for you (compared to tube amps, for example). I also love the massive amount of routing options you have - right now I'm running it in it's "Dual Mode", which splits the signal into a pre-effects "clean" line and a post-effects "dirty" line that are sent to separate cabs (clean into an Avatar 2x12", dirty into an Avatar 2x10") - instant 'n easy dual signal setup at a touch of a button. The effects are killer, and I went for it because like you, everything is easy and clean (even though I've gone and filled up a "Front-of-Preamp" pedalboard and have additional effects in front and through the effects loop. A great pre and certainly worth it if you're an effect-hound who wants to keep things self-contained and easy to use.

9. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    wow

thanks for the info

i'll definetly be looking for a mini mo. the only problem is, they are hard to find. and i dont know what to do about rack mounting. because i already have an 8 space case with a wireless, rack tuner, power conditioner.

i dig that solid state sound.

i was thinking of this:

-have a 2 space case for my ca9 poweramp
    - a 3 space with eden nav/rack tuner
    -a 4 space with/ mini mo and rack tuner
    -a 2 space with wireless and power conditioner

what do u think? this way i can change up pre's as i wish..
    i dunno. gear is so confusing.

10. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I own a Mo' bass. I've had it since late 2001, still use it as my main head. It does have a "tuner out" on the rear panel, although the "mo' control" does not have a "tuner out".

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i hope i can find one in the near future..

i just gotta get a rack situation figured out

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I liked the clean tone quite a bit, and all of the effects though I can't imagine using all them of very often. I'm generally a tube guy, and SWR is about the total opposite of the amp I'm using now - a '74 Sound City tube amp - but they do sound quite nice.

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    does anyone know if someone's got a mini mo for sale?

14. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    turns out i can get a mini mo bass pre amp with foot control for 500$ canadian.

should i snatch this up or what?

15. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Whatteryawaittenfer! Go get er'

16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    SAWEET

17. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    The clean tone on my Mo'Bass was the signature SWR sound that I love. I had it and used it extensively for 5 years and never had issues with pots/shafts/whatever.

18. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    Warning/Apologies: Sorry for the long post... I got to rambling and just didn't stop.

I've never used a mini mo', but I had a Mo'Bass with the big foot pedal for a while. I got it for dirt, which is the only reason I bought it (IIRC, it was maybe $570 shipped w/ the Mo'Control!) and got rid of it for the following reasons:

The effects are excellent quality, but I was spoiled by a Bass POD Pro where I could save presets. Since the Mo'Bass has analog effects, where the knobs are is where the controls are set, so if you like different EQ for a particular effect, you have to swtich your knobs around when you switch effects. Kind of made the convenience of an all-in-one unit null and void for me.

It was morbidly under powered for the rating. I've had a range of SWR units over the years, and I really didn't hear much difference in volume between the Chrome Bass 350 I had and my Mo'Bass. I also have had an SWR SM-500 that was just as powerful. My Eden WT-400 smoked the Mo'Bass on volume, and the GBE600 was even more badass.

It was soooo heavy. It's heavy duty, to its defense, but that build quality, in a 3-rack-space unit translates into insane weight.

Between the weight issues and my lack of contentment with the absence of programmable presets, I decided to sell. Someone gave me $250 for the Mo'Control and I think I got around $800 for the Mo'Bass. I did pretty well. Went and bought a used Genz-Benz GBE600 with a foot pedal for $325 and a used Bass POD Pro for $250 and called it a day, with an extra $475 in my pocket.

For the low price I paid on the Mo'Bass, I could've just sold the Mo'Control and then been at a total cost of $320 for the Mo'Bass. Would've been a competent amp to get me by, but in the price range of $320, there are craploads of amps that will "get you by". I sold and bought what was best for me. Maybe the Mo' will work out for you, it obviously works out for a lot of people.

I did use it in the studio for a few songs, and they turned out really well. But again, the weight made it less than practical for me.

Jake

P.S. The long pot shafts felt wobbly just because they were long, but they were rock solid. A lot of know-it-alls said they were junk, but never even bothered to give them a chance to stand up to daily use. They were fine!

19. If you haven't bought one already, the Mini Mo' with a seperate power amp is the best option. All of the SWR equipment I have owned over the years were underpowered. And every SM-500 I had would turn its self off if you pushed it too hard because of their protection circuitry. They are great sounding amplifiers but I've just never been impressed with the power section. Currently I'm using an SWR pre through an amplifier. Although it isn't quite as convenient as an all-in-one head, it is the way to go. And since you will be rack mounting everything it won't matter that you have a seperate power amp.

20. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea its the mini mo

i'm gonna get a qsc plx or a stewart amp to pair with it

i'm looking more towards a qsc, soething with big power bridged mono
    what model qsc do u guys think to power a schroeder 410r ? 1602??
    i just wanna have a 6 space rack bag for in city gigging