Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mo Bass Long term reliability?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Morris, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    :confused:

Has anybody owned an SWR Mo Bass for any lenght of time? I am interested in the reliability of the unit first and foremost. There has been a lot of discussion about the "wobbly" pots. Has this led to any reliabilty problems? I am interested in buying one of these units but am a little put off by the reliability issue.

I am also wondering from those long term Mo bass users if the FX are more than just novelty. Are they genuinely useful?

Finally I am interested in hearing if there are any other pitfalls or problems in owning one of these unusual and creative amp heads?

2. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    i used one on about a 7 month tour and it was an unreliable piece of crap..the effects are pretty much useless other than the chrous which is still pretty weak and the mo eq is ok...it would just decide to cut off randomly during a set..defintely the worst piece of gear they ever made...

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty much mirrors my conclusion. I was stuck with one for a while. It's a blight on an otherwise solid SWR line.

4. pookeymp

pookeymp

Oct 16, 2002
    NY/NJ
    I also was very, very unhappy w/ this unit. I purchased it without testing based on my great experience w/ the SWR SM900. The chorus was the only effect I found useful...but could not get the sound out of my cab (Goliath III/Carvin 18") that I expected. I used it on 1 gig and would up trading it in and picked up the Eden Navigator Preamp/WT1000 Amp. This gave me the sound I wanted.

Mikey/

5. I've had one for a little over a year now and I'm pleased with mine.

Reliability was what made me choose this in the first place... I had an Ampeg SVT-400T that sounded like a million dollars, but decided to cut out on me at a pretty big gig. I took it to an "Ampeg Certified Repair Center" and was told it was fixed. Took it out that night to another gig and the same damn thing happened. My Mo' has NEVER let me down. I've probably played at least 100 gigs on it and about twice that in practices and it never once let me down. Now, I'll cop to the wooly pots issue, but even that comes and goes ( maybe they just need cleaned, my entire band smokes like chimneys, maybe that has something to do with it :) )

As for the effects, I bought this amp early in my bass career, before I knew exactly what I was getting in to. I was primarily interested in the tube overdrive and the envelope filter, but now I use the overdrive and chorus most. The other effects are great, there just aren't many applications for an envelope filter or an octaver in my main bands lineup, but if I ever need them, they're there. I don't consider them to be a novelty, I just have a hard time fiding excuses to use them in my playing right now.

I think a lot of the problem with the Mo's reputation is the fact that the effects aren't "plug'n'play" presets like most "modeling" amps, but are actually REAL analog effects that take time to tweak and refine. If they were on a board on the floor, you'd have to spend the time to figure them out, but since they're part of the head, some people expect them to be different.

just an oppinion...
    George

6. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    2 years and runnin' .....w/MoBass and Goliath Sr.

No Probs.....very happy .

PJR

7. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    2 years on the road touring or 2 years of weekend gigs where its not getting knocked around nearly so much?...Everyone I know has had issues with them ..hell even the swr dealers around here refuse to stock them because of reliability issues..

8. I agree with that.

I've had mine 2 years,used it at it's full power for 4 or 5 hours none stop every single saturday that I've owned it,give or take 2 or 3 weeks and never had any trouble at all,most reliable solid sounding head I've owned.

9. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    2 yrs of weekend gigs(4-6/month) , and rehearsals(1-2/week)

My Mo is racked up nicely......so it doesn't get beat up too badly.......

[​IMG]

YMMV
    PJR

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Nice bass, cab and tuner, PJR! :D

11. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    The only one I've played may have been defective, but it had waay less volume than I expected and the clean sound was not impressive. I got a much better sound from a SM900.

12. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    its no wonder swr isnt making them anymore they are "back on the drawing board" ..