Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mo bass THE FINAL VERDICT!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Morris, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Guess what guys......I think I am going to take the plunge and buy a SWR Mo Bass head with a Megoliath 8x10 stereo cab. I know it is not the most popular amp and that alot of you feel that it is a gimmick however I can't help finding myself drawn to its uniqueness.

The point of this post is to try and find out a little about the unit's reliability. Has anyone used one for a while? Do problems occur? Has anyone got a bulletproof reason as to why I should'nt buy this item? Does the lure of the effects wear off and the amp become bland and underpowered?

Please help as I am making a serious investment to get this rig and I can't afford to make the wrong mistake.

2. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Unless you plan on playing with the effects on all of the time I wouldn't buy it.The clean sound is very weak............

3. I tried both and chose the SM 900 because I like a clean sound and I'm not much of an effects guy. Plus I think it has more power. The 8x10 is impressive though. I'd get it if it came with a guy to carry it for me.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The SM-900 and the Mo' Bass have the same power outputs.
    Cantstandya---how was the clean tone weak? Was it lacking in some area? What about compared to other SWR heads?
    I'm gonna be watching this thread VERY closely, 'cause I was getting ready to make the same purchase (except 2 Goliaths rather than 1 Megoliath), but I've had a few problems with SWR reliability lately.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My, what a bad idea.

6. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry Munji, I considered Eden, but paying cost from having an in at an SWR dealer beats the hell out of paying retail for an Eden from the competition.

7. I can only relay my experience. I 've used the SM 900 with a Goliath III and SOB for 2 years of moderate use without problems. I'm not a touring musician but play about 3-4 gigs a month.
    I didn't know that the MOBass had the same power amps.
    BTW, I like the Goliath III over SOB run in MONO from the SM 900. It has punch and rumble if you know what I mean.

Did you look in the archives of H-C and TB for MoBass?

8. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Thanks for the replies. I am aware that the clean sounds are not all they could be on the Mo bass. Last week I set the Mo bass up with a 6x10 goliath senior and I sat a SWR SM900 on top so all I had to do was switch the speaker lead around to get a real AB comparison.

I deliberately kept the Mobass with all FX bypassed. The Mo bass seemed much weaker sounding than the SM900 and the EQ did not seem nearly as effective. Apparentely the Pre and the power amps are the same in both units yet this comparison seemed to prove otherwise.

I was really disappointed. I wanted to like the Mo bass in bypass mode more. Then I turned the enhancer all the way up on the Mo bass, dialed in some heavier eq settings and I must admit although again maybe not as nice as the SM900 it was a really lovely sound. This got me thinking.....

I went back to the SM900. I tried to get some grind out of it by cranking the Pre. No such luck, almost Trace Elliot style refusal to overdrive. Hmmmm nice for clean sounds. I fiddled about with the Eq. Nice but where is the excitement in this amp? It occured to me then that maybe the Mo is the one for me as it has a nice default sound(albeit a little harder to initially set up). But when you start to tap into the FX then things start to get unbelievably exciting.

The Mo has got the best implemented FX for Bass I have ever come across. These FX are'nt just the one off, in the middle of your solo kind of thing but really useful deep down and dirty room shaking stuff. The band I am in is a really experimental three piece. This is an ideal situation for the Mo as when the guitarist/keyboardist is playing melodies or solos, I guess I can keep the whole shebang firmly on the road with this monsterous huge sound.

Ok folks, off I go again to try it out once more today but this time with the megoliath 8x10 cab. I shall report back with my findings.............

9. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Mo Bass + Goliath Sr user for 2 years now......

No Problems....all the power, tone and versatility I've ever needed.

Feel free to PM or email me w/ any specific Q's.

PJR

10. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    The gain structure is different on the Mo'Bass preamp than the standard SWR preamp to compensate for the volume increase when using the effects.That's directly from SWR.An Sm-900,Sm-500 or Bass 750 will be louder.

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Munji wrote:

Either your brain is shrinking or you've used up all of your witty putdowns. I expect mo' better from you. :D

12. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I dunno, I think that was one of my favorites from Munji. Simple, yet effective. You'd expect "mo' better" from him...c'mon that one was too easy! :D

13. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    I have just come back home after having an extensive trial of the SWR Mo Bass together with a Megoliath 8x10.

I found it much more satisfying to use with the 8x10 than the 6x10 as the stereo operation comes into play (2x4x10). The whole unit just seemed happier with that cab. I found the dual mode to be really useful. This is where you can split the signal clean into one half of the cab and the wet (effected) into the other. There are two volume controls to blend the sounds together. I found this to be really effective as it felt like I was completely in control of the sound.

I went with one of my band members today and our roadie. The Roadie took one look at the Megoliath and raised an eyebrow "like you expect me to move this around????" The Megoliath is huge and heavy but boy it sounds fantastic. The guys were suitably impressed with the FX and agreed that they were much more than the gimmicks they initially thought it would be. The beast rocks big time. The music shop recieved a string of phone complaints today after just 10 minutes of giving the thing a good crank. A great sign! Especially as I had'nt dialed in any FX at that point.

We all agreed though that the EQ was sub par. It just did'nt seem to sculpt the sound as effectively as other amps. Also the default sound was nice but not hugely inspiring. However chuck a few of the fx on and it just is the most exciting unit I have ever played thorugh.

In order to gain some perspective , I also tried out a very nice Mesa Boogie Buster combo. This is a 1x15 plus horn 200 watt valve combo. Really well made and a beautiful and flexible sound. After it had warmed up, we all agreed that the default sound was a lot nicer than that of the Mo. Ah **** I thought (as I am so into the Mo) maybe it would be wiser to get something else and look at getting some nice FX. The store had a Boss GT6B so I thought I'd try it with the Mesa. My initial impression of the GT6B was fantastic build quality and size. I thought hmmm this looks interesting............

Arrrrrghh horrid horrid horrid. In an instant I fell back in love with the Mo bass again. The GT6B just had that really nasty small digital sound. SO uninspiring it reminded me just why the Mo is such a special piece of equipment. I can appreciate that the GT6B would need some considerable tweaking to get it to sound right but why bother when the Mo offers oodles of mega tone instantly and far more intuitively. I believe you cannot get the sounds out of the Mo in any other way. The whole intergrated way in which it works just delivers the goods. I think finally I am sold!

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    I liked the MoBass. tried one at Sam Ash, thru a SWR 4x10. nice tones, and the effects were pretty cool. i could see how it'd be a nice "all-in-one" head.

but one thing that frightened me about it, were the flimsy feeling knobs. two of them were actually ripped right off the unit. you'd think SWR would make something more sturdy at least with hard plastic knobs for what you're dropping for it.

15. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Morris...Thanks for your posts...I think these have been more helpful than any others here in the archive. I haven't been able to A/B the Mo and the SM900 yet, but thanks in part to your posts, I think the Mo is more for me than the 900, and that that's what I'll end up getting.
    ...Now I just have to sell come stuff, and place my order.

16. i've had my mo bass for 2 years (goliath III and big bertha). and i gotta say, the honeymoon is over dont get me wrong it is a solid amp, BUT, the clean tone is somewhat lacking, and its impossible to get a real bright high end like you can with the swr sm's. plus, although its a hella loud amp, its got balls the size of raisins.

the fx's novelty have worn off for me. plus there's just way better bass fx out there. for example, i never really got the bootsy sound from the syth, sound it to be to sterile, not good for slappin at all. then i picked up a qtron+ and there flat out is no comparison, the qtron IS bootsy (greasy, stanky and orgainc), mo bass is not even close. (perhaps thats why there's rumored to be a mo bass II debueting at NAMM, um in 48 hours from now!)
    i do like the subwave, but i'd think the ebs octave would be better, plus ebs has more sounds. drive is ok, chorus is so-so.

kelly @ swr says the pots are loose on mo bass becuase they are very long shafts, i never really liked the feel of them either, pretty damn cheap feeling for a >$1000 amp.
    kelly also said that swr will have "many new products" at NAMM friday.
    -------------------------------------------
    so i'm gonna be starting from square one again....
    alembic F1X/superfilter/qsc or a 400+ or IOD?

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I recently read that SWR is going to address this issue with the Mo Bass. Can't remember where, but it was a reasonably credible source (i.e., not on a web board), probably in a magazine.

18. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My only beef with my Mo' Bass is that it is quite unreliable. In the past year it has been in the shop 3 times for a combined total of about 4 months. I think that the main reason was a faulty power supply and a defective fan, both of which have replaced, and hopefully it will stop giving me problems.

The amp is, however, rather weak, and I have to turn it up to about five just for practicing in my bedroom, but the effects are great, and it is a solid amp with a little tweaking.

19. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Check out the Mo'Bass preamp at www.swrsound.com Looks much better compared to the head.

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    aww, sweet....what up mini Mo'