Mo bass - Unreliable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soulgroovn, Jan 22, 2003.

1. soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    So I go into Sam Ash in New Haven, CT the other night. They have 2 Mo basses in the showroom and I pull a bass off the wall to check it out and both of them are broken! No sound out of either of them and the knobs were falling off one of them. I looked in the back and tried every single combination possible to get the thing to work. Finally, the sales guy comes over and says that they're both DOA. I was really looking forward to hear what these things sound like but based on this first impression, I think I'll stay away. SWR is usually tops in quality control, aren't they?
  2. Went into Sam's Music, plugged into the Mo'Bass
    and the Sub-Oct. was totally broken making a god-awful loud buzz. Employee said it was broken.

Even though I use SWR Professional Series Amps exclusively... I'd never, ever own a Mo' Bass. Besides, I just don't believe effects should be intergrated into one unit with the preamp and power amp. The whole idea stinks of bad design and fad-ish gimmicks.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard from at least three different people who repair amplifiers and have sales experience with SWR products that the quality has went down, and the failure rate has gone up, in the last 2 1/2 years.

I have also seen two Mo Bass amps at local shops that were DOA.
  4. i own a mo bass, and am selling mine...any i mean takers? he-he.

lately, with the dryness of winter and high static electricity levels, evertime i touch my bass, or amp or anything metallic in my signal chain, ALL THE EFFECTS TURN THEMSELVES ON!! so damn annoying!

*shaking fist at swr*
  5. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    ...sorry to hear about that's a drag when your amp has problems.
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I second that...I am an avid SWR user but this Mo'Bass is some kinda Motown/Funk Machine wannabe that sounds to me just like one expensive effects module. With the money they want for them I'd definately go with a juicy Mesa 400 or even an IOD with SWR 750.

Just my .02