Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mo' Bass vs SM 900/500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baba, Mar 22, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I've been checking out the SWR SM500 and 900 and ran across the Mo'Bass. Something isn't adding up. The Mo'Bass has the same wattage/ohm specs as the 900 yet it is 300 bucks cheaper......and you get killer sounding analog effects. In fact the Mo'Bass is only 300 bucks more than the 500 and you get all that extra power. What gives??? At first glance it looks like a no brainer, what am i missing?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'll tell you what it's missing...

tone.

:D

the sm900, while it doesn't have all the gizmos and doodads the mo has, has alot more useable features than the mobass. and it sounds alot better IMHO (and many other's HO as well)

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Don't do it!! The clean soud on the Mo'Bass sucks.You wont have squat for headroom.The reason for this is that the gain structure on the Mo'Bass if different from the other SWR heads to compensate for the increase in volume when using the effects.Unless you plan on using the effects all the time, you will be much happier with the SM500,SM900 or Bass750.My buddy bought the Mo'Bass to power a Goliath and Big Ben and could not hear himself at all.My SM400S was way louder.He ended up returning it and getting a Bass750.He is very happy with it.Very simple,great tone,and VERYLOUD....The SVT Classic of the SWR line.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good feedback. I rarely use effects anyway. Given that, I'd rather have the power....and if tone is lost at the expense of a couple effects....FUGGEDABOUTIT!!

But it looks so cooool! :rolleyes:

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mo' Bass is a toy, like a Pod or someother "all-in-one" nonsense. The name is even a stupid attempt to gain some sort of hip-hop street cred...

The SM-xxxx line is professional gear.

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i have to agree with the posts so far. my sm-400s has exceptional build quality and huge sound. does it seem like swr is catering to a different type of bass player these days? IMO the new workingman 8004 is hideous and the mo bass is overproduced and cheap looking. i really hope this is just a "phase" swr is going through.

steve

p.s. god i sound old. but i'm not! :)

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's named after the designer, Mo West.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Much like how the SVT was named after its creator, Stephen Valentine Thompson.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah. :D Don't believe that biz about Super Vacuum Tube!

10. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I own both....Mo-Bass and 750.

The Mo is definately more powerful than the 750 when run in bridged mode.......driving the Goliath Sr.

The clean tone of the Mo...while similar to the 750, is not as 'thick' in the low-mids.....

I like them both !!

PJR

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Whoops....gotta remember to take off my shoes before I stick my foot in my mouth. I stand corrected, Brad.

I still don't care for the amp, though. ;)

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me neither but that'll be our little secret;)