Mo bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steveksux, May 9, 2005.

1. Anybody have any experience with the "Mo Bass" by SWR? I'm not really interested in the effects (besides EQ, Compressor, maybe some chorus). Nervous about it, seems to be either a "love it" or "hate it" piece of gear.

Any idea what these things go for/went for now? I seem to remember them being really expensive before they were discontinued.

2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My bass teacher etc. uses one. Sounds amazing. He plays a Euro Spector or Ken Smith usually through the Mo bass and Goliath/SOB rig. Sounds great. Really punchy, cuts through nicely.

Maybe check out some live Ben Harper Clips? (Hollywood Bowl - Brown Eyed Blues and Steal My Kisses) They both have nice solo's by Juan and he uses a Mo'.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR quit making it. I'll bet there's a reason for that. (They still have the Mini Mo preamp, though.)
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    There were reported problems with the Mo Bass power section. I dunno what these were, but most likely it was that it didn't have enough juice, as I find with some SWR heads. However, the Mini Mo preamp would be awesome paired with a power amp. I wonder what one of these would sound like through an all tube power section though...
  5. Reported problem= overrated power amp, or reliability probs?

My guess is it had trouble reaching the 900 reported watts@ 4 ohms bridged (=each channel running 2 ohms). But I'm only speculating.

I'll be using just the preamp section now until my Eden gets back from the shop, and it'll make a dandy practice head/backup amp after I'm back in the "Garden of Eden".

If it gets great tone, that's my only requirement now, I have better power amp I'll be using anyway.

I'd agree the MiniMo is more precisely what I actually need, but the MoBass is cheaper used, and the onboard power will make for a more versatile backup amp.