Mo' Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brandon Cancho, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Does anyone have any experience with SWR's Mo'Bass? I have heard a few things about it but i was wondering if its any good. Are the built in effects quality?
  2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I have one, and have had it for about 1.5 years. I wouldn't really recommend it unless you really like effects because that is most of what you pay for. For that much get a Mesa 400+ they sound much better, unless you like a really clean hi-fi sound. These amps are also really noisy even with a noise gate, so you have to really cut your highs.

Here are a few details about the effects:

Sounds like $20 Ibanez distortion; this is by far the worst effect.

Subwave (Octaver Thing):
    Can get some pretty weird tones out of this but it takes a lot of work and a good knowledge of the knobs. This sounds pretty cool in a practice situation when you are just messing around, but I can't think of any situation that you could use this live or in the studio.

This is the coolest effect in the Mo' Bass. It sounds bad in the low register, but on higher notes at fairly loud volumes it gives you kind of a weird wah sound. This effect also sounds great on my keyboard.

Mo' Eq
    Basically another EQ, but the effects are barely audible

A little noisy, but fun to play with
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

get an interstellar overdrive, a whammy/wah, and a moogerfooger (along with a poweramp of your choice)

the clean tone is awesome
    the overdrive is REAL powertube overdrive
    the octaving is better (and more different things)
    the chorus is just as good
    the wah is ridiculous
    and it's much louder

either that, or just get an SM900. with tone like that, who needs effects?
  4. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Alright...I know I'll take some incoming for it but here's my opinion.
    (helmet and flak jacket securely in place, another row of sand bags...that should do)
    I've had one for about a year now and I really like it. Maybe I just got a really good one but mine is dead quiet, the effects work perfectly, the tone is super and you want to talk about loud? 900w bridged mono through a Goliath III and a Goliath Jr will take your head off! I can't even get close to my rig if the pre and power amp are turned up to half way. Remember that old memorex tape ad with the guy sitting in the chair? The distortion is great (although rarely and modestly used), the chorus is fantastic, the subwave on mine works and tracks fine, and the synth will keep you and your band mates grinning from ear to ear when you learn how (and when) to use it. I've played in three different bands with it and I've received compliments, oohs and aahhs every time.
    Mine's run like a Swiss watch and I'd be hard pressed to give it up. I tried an Alembic F-1x and DCM 2000 instead and it was noisy and thin sounding compared to my Mo'. They went right back in their boxes! Everything is subjective but I've really enjoyed mine.
    (wait till they get real close, that's it..a little closer)
  5. boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Mo bass = mo nobs.
  6. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    I have had my Mo' bass for over a year now. I've gigged with it and did some studio work. I like it. I never use the Distortion (hate that) but all other effects get used every gig. Not much, about 4 out of 30 songs. Biggest problem is that it has no preset memory so I'm twisting knobs all the time. If you want to change effects fast, the Mo' is not for you. Mine is dead quiet, not noisy at all. And the clean tone is great, at least with my Warwick FNA Jazzman 5.