Mo' Bop, Kazumi Watanabe & Bona

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Does anyone out there own one of the 2 records from these guys? It sounds pretty good, but the only place I can find to order it is this site:
    They have both records (Mo' Bop and Mo' Bop 2). I was thinking of ordering one, but since they only have a few samples from the 1st record, does anybody have an opinion on which is better?
  2. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I only own the first one. Are you familiar with Kazumi Watanabe's other stuff? One of my favorite tracks on the Mo' Bop album is "Tricorn" which reprises an older Kazumi song called "Unicorn" from the To chi ka album which had Marcus Miller and Steve Jordan! It also has a nice cover of John Coltrane's "Naima".

Wait for more responses, but I figure you probably can't go wrong with either one - the first one was released as the main album, and they wouldn't release a second one if it was weak. However, maybe you are looking for something specific like crazy bass playing?

I'm actually listening to the first album as I type this. If I have any complaints it's with the drums - the snare is mixed kind of loud, and Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez is a little spastic at times.
  3. I have the Mo'Bop II. Great cd. If you like Bona then buy it!
    Also check out YOSUKE ONUMA * THE THREE PRIMARY COLORS. Bona Rules!!!
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Got Mo' Bop 1, Bona Rules.
  5. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    i just got MO' BOP II and it rocks !!

bona is playing some great lines, i don't dig kazumi's playing but the bona+Horacio's playing is awsome.