Mo mwah...lessons learned

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adouglas, Aug 1, 2005.

1. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Last night I finally got around to addressing a mild lack of mwah from my fretless. I got great results, and wanted to pass along the lessons I learned in case anyone can benefit from them.

What surprised me about the whole deal is how sensitive the instrument is to small changes in setup and EQ. This is the important lesson...small changes make big differences.

I tweak the trussrod on my fretted bass anywhere from 2 to 4 times a year, as the weather changes. But I haven't bothered tweaking the fretless in quite a while (I only play it maybe 10-20 percent of the time). The action wasn't high, but it wasn't super-low, either. I lowered it way down, just above getting massive buzzing and deadness. Definitely lower than I have it on my fretted bass.

Also, based on advice from TBers, I boosted the mids and highs a bit, and favored the bridge pickup. The bass in question is a Carvin BB75F with the P-series electronics, which means it also has a piezo bridge pickup. I found that mixing in some of the piezo helped too.

Sounds awesome now. Probably the biggest single factor was getting the action way down there. And it didn't take much.

BTW, I'm using TI Jazz Flats.

So, if you're looking for more mwah, try lowering the action way below where you'd have it on a fretted bass, dial in some mids and highs, and use that bridge pickup. All pretty obvious, I'm sure, but it's worth paying attention to the details.

Hope this helps someone...
  2. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Nice post! I've had similar experiences while messing around with my setup & eq settings. I guess it helps that I have a bass & head that are both very customizable :D
  3. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Cool! I'll have to try some flats on my fretless just to see how I like them.