Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MO prisoners can't play violent video games anymore

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Dec 2, 2004.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Link
    But why are they allowed to play video games to begin with?

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Because prisons are made to help these poor souls grow as people. By giving them the finer things they lacked, they will learn that their lives will be better if they do not commit crimes, but go on to benefit society as a whole. Duh.

...That, or Missouri is full of idiots.

I'm going to go with the idiot theory here.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd vote for option #2, and generalize that to the entire world

4. This... coming from the Judohobo.

:p

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey man.... I have lived in KC, StL, Springfield, and Cape Girardeau! I have lived in Missouri for about 20 years now! So what do you have to say about Missouri and idiots now, buddy! I may resemble that remark....

ooooooops.....

P@

:D

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Helfgott, Jacqueline. "Psychoanalytical analysis of violent computer games: Nerds vs. Inmates."
    The Journal of Professional Psychology 6.2 (1999): 67-71.

brad cook

7. If I were stuck in prison. I would need basses, all my cds, my books, and some dvds.

Do they let people have computers in there?

8. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Why, do you have a guilty conscience?

9. So you're saying if I kill somebody I get free board, food, AND free video games now?

Sweet!

10. Of course they do. Havn't you ever seen Oz?

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, we cant let them play violent video games like Grand Theft Auto, because then they might not realize that their violent actions can have very serious consequences!

;)

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, he's a violent video game character. Violent video game characters are not allowed to watch shows about prisons.

brad cook

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    how about.. college programs in prisons... and maybe if you get good grades you can play games... that way when some (some) of them get out they might be able to get a good job... just seating there is waste of time and my money.

and dont forget free sex...

Cheers

14. Nevermind.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Prison aint bad... a bed, 3 hot meals, rec time, TV... all for being a perfect example of defective genetics.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    C'mon Mikey...do you really believe crime is a result of genetics?

brad cook

17. All of you saying prison aint bad (Mike etc), stop it. That's bull. Even with video games and the basic things you need to live, it's infinitely worse than living on your own. And prison isn't just full of murderers. There's alot of bs going on in the legal system imo, and good people can do stupid things without thinking. About the issue at hand, good call, they should never have let them play crime games in the first place. I'd say let them play games, even violent ones if they want, but not crime ones like gta, hitman etc.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

How about doing something productive... like... working fields?

19. Just a few interesting facts for you - in the US, everytime there is a heavyweight championship fight on, something like 30 more murders occur. Moreover, people will copy violent acts seen in videos, games and in music. Angry music will make you angry. In a very frustrating environment, with people who have shown some low level of punishment sensitivity and high reward sensitivity (see Gray's BIS/BAS research for more info), it is very likely that there will be more violent acts committed if such games are allowed to be watched. Prison workers should not have to deal with that and nor should they work in fear of violence.

People are put into prison because their behaviour has not been classed as "normal". Genetics do contribute, without a doubt, to whether or not a person is biological predisposed to acting in a certain way. Thats not to say a person is born to kill. More, that they could not be responsive to punishment but be highly responsive to reward. Such a person would seek thrills, are generally psychotic and very often end up as criminals. While the environment the child is raised in is very important (roughly 50-60% of personality variance) and contextual cues are necessary for any behaviour to occur, you can't discount genetics because they do contribute 40-50% of a person's personality. Not to mention that what we currently define as "normal" does not often make sense from an evolutionary perspective.

Leigh