Mo'Bass - BP review.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, the new BP has a review of the Mo'Bass this month. Reading between the lines, they think it sucks. There's a lot of threes in the evaluation. For an advertiser, that's about as bad as it gets. Turns out, most of the speculating in here was right.
  2. A Public Enemy song comes to mind....

Don't believe the hype! :p
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The frontpanel design is very stylish, tho :D
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I didn't get the impression they thought it sucked, they just weren't necessarily bowled over by it. After all, a 3 is just average.

It's a pretty specialized amp, afetr all if you don't need those specific effects, why buy one? Personally, I have zero interest in it.

SWR is taking a new direction, trying to become a larger company. Gear like Mo'Bass and the LA amps will make or break them.
  5. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    I played through a MO' Bass at Richmond Music Center on Saturday and I was not really impressed. It didn't sound bad, but for that kind of money I expected to be impressed, and I wasn't. The synth didn't really seem to do a whole lot, but the rest of the effects were ok. I suspect that it might take a while to be able to dial in the proper tones.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It just sounded like a bad idea from the start to me - a compromise on features that has been decided for you by someone else. If you're really into effects, then presumably you would want the best and those that you have chosen, not some hard-wired to an amp. If you don't like effects at all then you are not even going to consider this.

From the pictures I am very suspicious, as more effort seems to have gone into the design than anything else - which is OK for a piece of furniture, but an amp has to be about tone and anything with effects built in just has to be a compromise.
  7. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I agree with Bruce. I'm an effects user, but I don't want to be told which effects I can have and what order they'll run in. I like distortion, but I really don't like chorus or octave, but I might be intrested in the synth if it sounded cool. Haven't found one that has though, and I doubt this one would be the first. I do think the EQ as an effect isn't a bad idea though, I've heard of people using pedals to do the same thing. But Ampeg has been putting footswitchable graphic eqs on their amps for awhile now so even this isn't a step foward. I know I could not use the built in effects and use my own, but then why would I want this amp to begin with?

Also, am I the only one who also thinks an amp with built in effects seems a little unprofessional? To me it seems that it may be a good idea for beginner amps, but they're marketing this thing as the world's greatest pro amp. If it was down to two amps that sounded almost identical, had the same wattage, and one of them had effects, I'd take the one without effects.

There's my ranting and raving. If you didn't pick up on it I'm not a big SWR fan, give me Eden any day of the week.
  8. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I agree Bruce! I've said all along on this one, you get what you pay for. If memory serves me correct, the Mo'Bass is basically either the SWR 750 or 900 with effects for less money than those two. Somthing was sacrificed along the way somewhere.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    3's for a $1799 (retail)amp is not good. My first contact with one with last week...

-It's "cute" but I could get over that. Are they trying to mimic the integrated amp look of the 70's. I don't have fond memories of running my bass through my Kenwood KA-3500:D

Mo' Knobs?

-It feels very flimsy, with the pots mounted on a circuit board and not secured to the frame. The salesmen told me that's what everyone's doing this Fall;) I don't care, it felt cheap and I don't think they're the least bit roadworthy, even on a local road.

-The effects are okay (yawn). My Boss ME-8B is much more versatile and I just picked up a second one for $95.

-and it's only $1799 retail! Where do I sign? :rolleyes:

Marcus used one of these at the recent Bass Day, with a Megoliath 8x10. He sounded fine. If he used any of the effects it was "subtle". He has roadies.

Guess I gave it a "3", too.
  10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    A big part of my point is that SWR advertises the Mo'Bass in BP. Do you think BP is going to rate it lower than 3? I think that a 3 is BP's secret way of saying zero to those "in the know". If the product was from a non-advertiser, they'd just go ahead and put the zero. Buyer beware.
  11. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
  12. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's got plenty of precedent starting with the Acoustic 360 (onboard fuzz and "electronic tuning fork") and various amps over the years that have offered distortion, chorus, octave dividers, footswitched EQs, etc. Noone calls Ashdown, GK and Ampeg "unprofessional".

The current trend I see (particularly amongst rock players) is for big amps with big speaker cabs and lots of analog effects used (with distortion #1 on the list). The Mo'Bass fits right into that trend, whether you like it or not.

I'd expect to see more amps like this in the future.
  13. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.

Current trend? Rock players always used larger amps and cabs. SVT, Fender PS400 or 300 are prime examples, dating to the late 60's early 70's. Can't get any heavier and bigger than this. Or can they?!;)

However, built in effects seems to have a trend starting, especially with all these new digital amps coming out.

I'll stick with my tube amp and a couple of pedals, which I rarely use.
  14. Eden amps don't need no stinkin' gimmicks to sell, they let their sound speak for themselves!!! :D
  15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  16. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I got the new BP mag today and read the review. You can tell they didn't like it very much. It's sad when the best effect on the thing is the chorus. I think the reviewer followed his mother's advice: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" and basically he really didn't say much about it. He said he was concerned with the poor construction and that it didn't have enough watts. They weren't crazy about the octave effect or any of the effects for that matter. When my store got one in, I wrote a small review. I didn't like it then but I didn't give my true feelings on it because I didn't want to pound on something I need to sell. That's kind of what BP did. They want to sell ad space to SWR so they didn't pound on them. I told my SWR rep the day we go it in that I thought it was junk but I'm sure someone will love it. He wasn't thrilled at my comment but I'm a very honest person and he knows that. Someone in this thread made a comment about this and the LA series of amps will be the thing that will make or break SWR. I believe that's true to an extint. I think their business hasn't been going well, what with all the competition that is better, IMO. They have been offering us special deals if we buy certain amounts from them which isn't uncommon, but the types of deals they've given us suggest a company in trouble trying to do anything to generate revenue. SWR has been around for a long time and is pretty much doing the same thing they've always done and people are getting tired of it and are looking elswhere. They don't make bad amps but its time for something new. It will be interesting to watch what develops.
  17. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm not sure of the significance of this if any,but around 1998-99,Steve Rabe pulled out and SWR Engineering became another entity,with the release of the SM-500 and 900 heads.As far as I know,the SM400S was the last design marketed under Rabe's aegis and IMHO is a worthy find on the used market.
  18. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    I just checked the Bassplayer website and I didn't find the review there. However, I did find a review of the Digitech BP-8. They loved it. Well, I have it and (IMHO!) it s&^*& (oops) is not very good. So I don't trust BP reviews either, but for a different reason (Altough Digitech maybe has a lot of ads in BP...). I'm still going to try out the Mo' Bass when it comes in but thanx to you guys I'll be very carefull.
  19. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

Mo'bass, if that means you are still putting the Trace for sale then please let me know, I'm visiting my relatives at holland in april, and might be intrested if you still have it by then.
  20. brianrost

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Except Fender dumped those big heads after a few years (they didn't sell many, either), Anpeg has discontinued the SVT at least twice since it was intorduced and in general, the trend through the 80s and part of the 90s was for small, lightweight heads (GK and SWR started that) and smaller cabinets. Look at all the guys using 2-10 cabs nowadays comapred to 2-15 cabs. I certainly know that over the years my rigs have been getting smaller and smaller.

Now we suddenly see SWR offering 2-15 and 8-10 boxes, Fender/Sunn and Ampeg with 1200 watt bass heads, new high powered tube heads from former solid state only vendors (Trace, new Sunn, Eden), etc. I see that as a trend away from more compact rigs to bigger ones again.