Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moby bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by frost13, May 14, 2000.

1. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I saw Moby on Sessions at west 54th tonight. Does anyone know who his bass player is?

2. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I still have never been able to find out her name. Anybody have an idea?????

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Moby ... is that the same as Moby Grape? I saw those guys open for the Doobie Brothers last year. They had paramedics on standby. It gave me renewed hope that some day my band will open for a major act. Boy, did they suck. If it's not the same guys, never mind.

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    go to http://www.metacrawler.com and do a search on "moby". Some extended sites come up about him and his music. might even have pix.

luck

5. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    All I have been able to discover so far is.....her name is Greta...and she used to play with a band called Kal Kan. It would appear that she is a well kept secret.....:)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I watched the BBC's extended coverage of the Glastonbury festival on digital satellite TV and there was a long set from Moby. I can see that the bass player looked pretty good - quite cool! But the actual bass playing was pretty ordinary and at points consisted of one note played with a pick for about 10 minutes. At other points it was pretty clear that the bassline was a pre-programmed Moby one and she wasn't actually doing anything except look decorative and dance about a lot. So unless you know of any more "challenging" stuff in the locker, I can't say that I was that impressed.

7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    frost, from you and bruce have stated, i am getting the feeling that she may just be stage decoration. it seems that throughout the general populous,. female bassplayers are consider very sexy (i being one who has never seen a bassgirl who i wouldn't do immediately). maybe moby is just cashing in on this trend. its sad, but could very well be true (especially when we all know that there is an ample supply of bassgirls that could not only fit the bill aesthetically, but play their a$$ off too.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If "Sessions" is any indicator, Moby isn't much more than stage decoration himself. The drummer was the only person who seemed to be making any noise in real time.

9. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I rewatched the tape frome Sessions....and I have to agree that many of the basslines sounded programed. I alos have to agree...that the drummer was the only one doing much of anything.
    Anyway...if the music IS programed...it might be one reason they don't make info about the bass player more readily available.

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    This was posted in the TBL tonight by Ed Friedland about who this gal is:

"The woman playing with Moby is Greta Brinkman, I met her walking down the
    street in Tucson when they were in town for a show. She saw my Danelectro
    t-shirt and assumed I was a musician. First thing I did was try to sell her
    my Dano!

Anyway, she's playing a Fender Bullet bass, but she also plays a Carvin
    sometimes. She's a New York rock bassist that has played with Debbie Harry,
    and recorded with L7. She does play with the strings upside down, and while
    it's not common, Jimmy Haslip has played this way his whole life!

The Moby CD is mostly all Moby, but for live gigs he carries a rhythm section
    to create some energy, they play live to tracks, and while they are actually
    playing, alot of what you hear is already recorded. Greta is very cool, (and
    married, sorry to blow your fantasy)."

11. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Thanks Dude. I read that this morning and did a search on her. It seems that she has filled in as bass player with Paxton and recorded with L7, but did not get credited.
    Anyway...the mystery is now solved....except for...how much does the band actually play "live" with Moby?