Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mock ampeg sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Feb 8, 2005.

1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    hi my setup currently consists of a hartke 3500 head and a GK 410SBX cab. I can't seem to get a nice enough tone out from the head. this might be a silly question but I was wondering if anyone (hartke users) have got a nice ampeg kinda sound out of the hartke head? if so what settings do you have it on? i havent had the chance to crank it up and mess around with the settings as for the moment it sits in my little bedroom :meh:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Four Words:

Sansamp

Bass

Driver

DI

3. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    my sttings are.........o wait....i have an ampeg. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. sorry. just selll the hartke and buy an ampeg. I don't know much about this amp but may i suggest turning the mid down, trebly up a little and the bass all the way up. If it has sub'bass turn that up too. If it has an equalizer start the bass waves in the middle, and as you get to the middle work your way doen and then from the middle wok your way back up to the middle again lik a U shaped curve.-just a guess

4. tommytoughnuts

tommytoughnuts

Jan 26, 2005
    also, dont't forget the knobs on your bass....

5. Don't turn the bass all the way up. That sounds awful and will kill your power. I think the Ampeg sound actually has a fair amount of mids in it.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Actually that's three words and a couple of letters. Hartke heads get a pretty "clean" tone (not clean in the IAMP/Focus sense), so if you want a dirtier sound then a SABDDI might be a good idea for you. In the meantime turn down your master (ie: power amp gain) and use more of the tube pre (I never use the solid state pre on mine) to introduce more tube into the tone. Hartke's have a differing sound than ampeg and even this probably won't be satisfactory for you if you are bound and determined to get an ampeg tone.

Good luck.

7. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    cheers for the advice everyone :) yeah i'll try them tips out tomorrow. Kael, can you suggest just a good all round tone (for playing bass with a plectrum) so that i have somewhere to start? also I'm not quite sure what the low and high contour knobs do and how to use them. any suggestions?

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I second the SansAmp BDDI suggestion...unless you want to buy an Ampeg. I use an Avalon U5 for my preamp/DI and it's very clean. When I want some dirt, I go to the SABDDI.

9. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    wow! yeah I'll look into a SABDDI. apart from an ampeg sound what kinda tones can i get out of it? I've just read a review and they say its not as good as a MXR M-80, and thats cheaper. anyone had any experience with these?

think I'm going to spend tomorrow, trying to dial in a good sound with my hartke before i make any purchases :)

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm sure you can find at least one tone that you're happy with. I got some great pick tones with mine. What sound are you trying to achieve?

Also, +1 on the SABDDI.

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I will usually dial in the sound that I want in practice using the graphic EQ and then use the low/high contour to adjust on the fly on stage as needed. I try and leave those knobs as flat as I can (turning them past about the 10:00 to 2:00 range is pretty extreme). If I were you, I'd ignore those knobs till you get a sound that you like without them. Then start adding light touch of them to taste.

What speakers are you running through? That can make a big difference in how I EQ. I know that I find myself needing to adjust when I just use my 15"/5" cab or just my 4x10" cabinet. I suppose both at the same time would be optimal, just a pain in the ass to move.

I used to run sound on the side for other bands and do a little recording in a home studio so I always try and be more aware of the overall mix than just my sound. But that's just me. I am at my "day" job right now so I am working from memory as opposed to reading off the head. Here's what I usually use....

I usually pump the 125Hz for my lows. I try and not push the lower freqs (although I don't cut them) on the graphic EQ. Seems to let the kick cut through the overall mix better that way. Bring up the mids around 500 to 800 (usually have the 800 range slightly hotter). I leave the 1KHz to 2KHz flat. This seems to give the guitars/vox an area of the frequency range that they are happy in. I will then push the next couple faders a tad (4KHz to 8KHz I believe) slightly for a little bright/edge. I rarely touch that super high fader. When I add with those faders (all the freq ranges), I don't mean a great deal (maybe 5 or so db tops). This works for me. Then again I never use a pick, so might not be your cup of tea.

If you aren't comfy with the EQ on your head yet, try leaving everything flat and ganking each one up one at a time to hear how that affects your tone. Do the same thing for cutting each freq.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on for this long.

PS: I think that tech 21 has a new programmable SABDDI coming out if you can stand to wait a couple of weeks.