Mockingbird MK3B.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FoxyProxy, Apr 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. FoxyProxy

FoxyProxy

Apr 9, 2017
    Hello, so I came across the bass on Musucian's Friend, and thought it will fit my needs just right, I play a lot of doom metal, and need the low end of the P pickups.

However, there is only ONE review of it on the whole internet.

Anyone that owns it can tell me what they think of it?

Ellery likes this.
  2. Wonder if it has the same electrics as the thru neck version ? Sold mine on Tuesday.

3. FoxyProxy

FoxyProxy

Apr 9, 2017
    No idea, but how was it? Any good?

4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Looks almost identical to the one I used to own a few years back except that the outside wood is darker on these. I really liked the tone as it sounded like an active P bass and it really was beautiful, but I could never get over the weird ergonomics and neck dive. Normally neck dive doesn't bother me but with the weird ergonomics, I had to hold it up with my left hand and try to hold it down with my right arm causing me to work harder at playing it. If you can get past that, then you will have a really nice sounding beautiful bass. That is if the electronics are similar to the one I used to have although it does look like it does. I used to get a ton of favorable comments on it. I kind of miss it but it was a pain to play.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did own it for about 5 years so that goes to show that I did work on trying to get used to it. But after playing all of my other basses, it was always very difficult to go back to this one. BTW, did I mention that it was beautiful?

5. @FoxyProxy
    It sounded great and looked even better :D Young fella who bought it has emailed twice since Tuesday saying how happy he is.I take that as a good sign. Only thing I wasn't too keen in was the battery got crammed in the control cavity,cutting a separate compartment would've been better. When I mentioned this to the new owner his reply was and I quote
    " When a bass looks Kick A$$ like this who cares about the battery." Couldn't have put it better myself :thumbsup:

6. FoxyProxy

FoxyProxy

Apr 9, 2017
    Yeah, I will probably gonna get it!

kodiakblair likes this.
  7. Everybody should own a Mockingbird at some point :) I know an old English fella,plays jazz Double Bass but he has 3 Mockingbirds :D

charlie monroe likes this.
  8. FoxyProxy

FoxyProxy

Apr 9, 2017
    Question is, the old mockingbirds were much more expensive than the current one, which stands at 430$.
    Will it still worth it?

9. I thought the neck thru were around $400 when they came out a few year back. It's difficult for me to remember and convert prices,I'm in Scotland so they're not the same.
    What's the return policy on the bass ?

10. FoxyProxy

FoxyProxy

Apr 9, 2017
    No idea, ordering it off Musician's Friend.

EDIT: 45 day returns.

11. Plenty of time to make up your mind.
    I just looked up the going rate for the neck thru I sold,glad I got a job cause I'll go bust selling basses :D

12. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    IMO the BC resurgence from China is not the best build quality. For the same money, you can get a neck-thru 80s NJ series Mockingbird which is a monster of a bass. I have owned 2 mockingbirds and the NJ was my favorite.

Here's an 80s Warlock with a BO neck, BUT all the fancy electronics of one of the USA basses: Vintage 1980's B.C. Rich Warlock Bass Rare White USA 100 Piece Laminated Neck!!! 701963055464 | eBay

And here's an Eagle Neck Thru with HSC from the 80s too. VINTAGE B.C. RICH EAGLE 4 STRING NECK THRU ELECTRIC BASS $SUPER$ | eBay

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. FoxyProxy

FoxyProxy

Apr 9, 2017
    First one isn't shipping to Israel, and shipping for the second is too expensive.

Also, I don't like bidding, it can go way too high.

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    @hintz, is this one that you could help @FoxyProxy with?? I know you are a big Mockingbird fan. I think that's what it is....?

hintz likes this.
  15. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I'll be honest, my mockingbird is a very special one! It has *zero* neck dive (unheard of apparently?), and is *insanely* light being Koa under the pearl blue, and is a handmade in Tijuana from 81'.

I really don't know anything about the new offerings from china? Sorry!! They look cool, but id get a used one and I'm lucky to have the one I have!!

gregmon79 likes this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ah well. I tried. I just saw mockingbird and thought of you.

hintz likes this.
  17. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    Thanks!! LOL. Yeah, I know that *everyone* says there's is neck heavy, mine certainly isn't though. They all definitely look cool and I'm sure with better pickups/hardware can sound amazing! The neck dive can be fixed by moving the strap pins though, using a wide leather strap and especially installing a Kahler bass tremolo if space allows!?

gregmon79 likes this.
  18. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    When I say moving the strap pins here's about where I'm talking about on my Ironbird bass (traded off the other one), another pic just cuz, old 85' honduran mahogany neckthrough!! ;)

It'll make a huge difference in balance lacking that upper/front horn!! Edit: also notice where that rear pin is! That isn't the standard spot either, the further back and up the rear one is the better as well.

These two positions apply to the Mockingbird as much as the Ironbird or most neck heavy instruments though the mock doesn't have that kinda rear wing simply moving it *up* is *huge*, same thing with a Thunderbird, explorer,etc.

P.S. I get the electronics/new pickups in a few days, I'm psyched! LOL 20170406_145125.jpg 20170318_142425.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Goy77 and gregmon79 like this.
  19. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    That above post is about as much help as I can really be Greg!! LOL

I know how to get these things to balance out well for sure!! Fortunately my Mockingbird didn't need any mod's for this, it sits like a fender parallel to the floor *at worst*!

gregmon79 likes this.
  20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You should find one of these old ones with the double P pickups:

ce7a6458423ea36df4761b77c1b6e819.jpg

Goy77 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022