1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mod a moog to have onboard tap tempo- is this possible

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Apr 25, 2009.

1. hey- im looking to save board space by eliminating the external tap tempo. the moogs are large enough to where you could move the bypass switch to one side- and have a tap on the other side. the only possible problem would be internal space. can anyone with pedal building experience crack open a moog and see if theres enough space to relocate the bypass to the one side (preferably the left) and add a tap on the other side?

2. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Oooh, I have no idea but I wouldn't, they have such good resale value and they're already so nice.

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Depending. Keep in mind the moog is all analog. The tap tempo will have to be digital to be practical. If the filter is controlled by an LFO than it is possible. It would be hard and probably impractical, but it could be done :)

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you should consider an mp-201

5. well- the moog in question is a murf- so- its got a tap tempo in on the back. and- the external foot tap isnt all that large. so- couldnt one just reroute that?

ya- that things pretty sweet- i definitely see one in my future (thanks- you reminded me to do my monthly moog website ogling). but- thatd find its place on my jumbo board- just trying to trim the fat so i can cram as much as possible onto a pt2.

6. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Yeah, I could see that being possible. What I would check is that if you can reasonably fit it in the pedal, as I imagine the circuit board is pretty massive in that thing. :)

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    see about putting in a clean bypass while you're in there...

8. hehe- ya- wasnt going to mention that- as id already opened one can of worms. but- that hiss really bothers me- especially since i must rely on that channel for a clean tone at times- so- if the things getting modded- its out with that crappy bypass.

so- the big question is- do any techie- builder type peoples own a murf? the custom shop i am fond of does not have a murf on hand- so- im out of luck/options there.

no- thats a good sign. an lpf is not a murf- but id think the space at the front there would be pretty similar. if he can cram three switches in there- why cant i do two? not sure why you would mind the pedal always being engaged- but im sure theres a reason.

9. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Send me a Moogerfooger and I will mod it for my use.

10. see- this is what talkbass is all about: a helpful community willing to take problems off your hands. i didnt consider that the simplest way to solve my murf problem was to get rid of it. most efficient suggestion sir.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    Yep, you'll definitely get rid of that crappy bypass.

I wonder if there are schematics of the Moogerfoogers on the internet...