Mod and Essex or Save more money

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman_Spike, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Hello all

I have a dilemma, i need a new bass. With basses in Australia being so expensive and because i am a student money is hard to come by. Also used equipment isnt around like it is in America.
    In my thinking ive got 2 options

1)Essex Bass: I know they can be found in aus now, and they are apparently very good for the money. So i could get an essex and replace bridge and pickups straight away leaving with a great bass that i will also be able make more my own buy putting on a new pickguard and stuff. This would also be good becuase i would install the pickups and bridge making it more my bass. This is the cheaper option. This will cost about $700

2)Save more pennys to around $1000 and get one of these
    Yamaha BB404 or 604 i think thats what they are
    Rockbass Corvette
    Used MIM P or J

So there is my options at the moment
    What do you all think is the better option or what is a new option i havent thought of?

Also people in melbourne can you tell if there is any music shops that have a good range of used basses...i am 2 hours away from melb
  2. I'd say go for the Essex. You may not even need to mod the bass. I'm quite impressed with my fretless, and I was thinking that I'd have to go and spend $70 (American) for a gold BadAss II bridge...but the stock one is working just fine.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I take it you got the SJB62 QMD Fretless, BnS? That's what I got, I love it!

I agree with him Spike. I love my Essex. No need to mod it, in my opinion. It's a great bass all by itself!
  4. If i get the essex i will probalby get the SJB-62 fretted in red...i was thinking latter if i had the money to put a black pickguard and black hardware.
  5. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    here's my 2 cents...

i'd rather play the yamaha. if i couldn't wait (to save up the extra dough) i'd get the essex over paying more money for a fender MIM.

also, you never know, you might not want to do the mods once you try the essex.... that would make it even more cost-efficient.
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Get the Essex, and do not modify it. They are usable as delivered for the most part from what I've read. Then, save your money for a better bass down the road.
  7. [​IMG]

I love that bass! It's my first fretless too!

I'm only going to mod mine, because I want a little more midrange out of it and boost the output a twinge (to kind of sound like my P-Bass) and I want to put another String Retainer in (just a little something I do to all of my Fender-style basses...except my Marcus Miller...). I may even put in a Series/Parallel Switch.

But even with those, I still love the thing. The bass is DEAD quiet! That really surprised me, because it's my cheapest bass...its almost as quiet as my Modulus. I also love the "vintage" tinted neck, I was admiring that in the G&L catalogs, and now I have it in an extremely affordable vessel. I think I will still keep the pickguard on, even though I wanted to have it looking like a Jaco bass (no pickguard). If you are wondering, there is also pickup routing under the pickguard...:( but I love the bass for the value. There was my rant.

8. Thats what I did. It looks real good.
  9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

What he said :D

I love my Essex. It's a great axe, better than many, if not all, Fender's I've played (other than the really high end). I haven't gigged with it yet, but i do love playing her. I am suprised by the sound as well, a lot quieter than I would have guessed, and it nails that jazz tone!

10. 2-mny-drummers do you have a pic a could see of that?
  11. The TI Flats that I have on it help bring out the sound too! I love em!