1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mod by pro - who supplies the parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mike19, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    I have a Squire Bronco which I am going to modify as follows:

> replace pup - probably with a Bassline Quarter Pounder.

> replace strings

> install ashtray and thumb rest.

Because I am not competent to do the work myself, I plan on having a "small" local guitar retailer do the installations and string setup.

Certainly, I will buy the strings from the retailer, but should I supply the pup, ashtray and thumb rest (which I would buy on-line) or should I let the retailer do that? This asumes that it will not cost me more to have the retailer supply the parts.

2. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    If he/she's a repair guy and not a guitar store than you should supply most of the stuff.

Drop him/her a line and make sure of it.

3. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    If your tech is part of a retail store then I'm sure the retail store will want you to order the parts through them but it's certainly not mandatory. Yes, supporting your local retailer is a good thing so long as they can get the parts you want. Small retailers have limited options as to what brands of products they can order. Beware that some retailers (large or small) will try and sell you what's easily accessible or in-stock claiming it's somehow better than what you requested.

4. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    Thanks for the advice folks. :)

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Unless the "local retailer" has a rep for good work, I'd steer clear, and find a real luthier or reputable tech. Too many guitars have been ruined by inexperienced hacks who hang out a shingle and proclaim themselves to be experts. Whether the installer wants the markup on the parts is up to him/her and you. Communicate clearly before committing.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It depends. Ask him which is the cheaper option. Sometimes the cost for parts supplied by the tech is considerably more expensive than it rightfully should be.

Look here on TB or on eBay for parts. Used is definitely the way to go, and you can probably save between $30-$50 on parts alone by not buying new.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    By the parts yourself to avoid mark-up and insure you get what you want and then have an actual luthier ( not a guy at GC) do the mods.

Better yet, take your time, search the web and teach yourself. Nothing you are doing is hard.

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I'd never pay anyone to do those things, and I used to be the guy that got paid to do it!! Seriously, it ain't that hard. You'll need to buy a good soldering iron, and if you don't already have 'em, a drill and some screwdrivers, a peg winder, and a good tuner. But any bassist should have all that stuff except for the drill (but I can't imagine NOT having a power drill myself).

However, if you're really not interested in doing it yourself, and if the tech works at a retail store, then they're going to want you to buy from them most likely. Get a price on THE WHOLE PACKAGE buying it from them, and you supplying the parts. Then decide which way you want to go. If you brought in after-market parts that I sold, you can bet the labor costs were a bit higher. So talk to them about your cost for the whole she-bang either way.

A couple of comments:
    A. Mark up ain't a bad thing, the internet dealer is marking stuff up too. And a "brick 'n' mortar" store has more expense than many internet dealers. If you want them to stay in business consider the total amount of the price difference.
    B. "Luthier" is someone who builds fretted instruments, and those folks are pretty rare. I don't consider myself a luthier by any stretch, even though I used to be one of three local guys who did good set-up and mods. Bolting parts (including a neck) on a slab of wood, even if it's shaped like a Precision Bass, isn't BUILDING an instrument, it's just one step above set-up. It's a term tossed around way too easily in my opinion.

John