MOD Experiment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Robert Browne, May 22, 2021.

1. Robert Browne

Robert Browne

Nov 9, 2020
    Have been thinking for past couple weeks of modifying my Fender Squier 5 string. Which would the best parts to upgrade where it would make a difference?

I was thinking of the following:
    Bridge and Neck Pickups
    Tuning Pegs
    Control box.
    Nut

Open to other ideas.

If you all know what would be best pickups for this bass as it is a Jazz Bass- much appreciated

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I always play a bass for a while before thinking about doing any mods. That way I know what needs to be changed.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006

What are your goals for the instrument? Sonic? Weight reduction? Balance?

When you make those decisions you can make a plan.

Or are you thinking of using the instrument as a platform for learning how to tech and mod?

The nut probably needs to be adjusted, but otherwise is just fine.

Turnaround likes this.
  4. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    As mentioned, is this to improve the instrument or to work on modding skills?
    Which Squier?
    If it's an Affinity, then yes, pickups, harness, fine tune or replace the nut, maybe the tuners. However, once you do all this, you may as well bought a nicer bass first.
    If it's a VM/CV, then replace the jack, fine tune the nut. I Really like the pickups on these and find the tuners to be perfect usable.
    I just got a Squier CV 70s J 5 string and was very impressed with the stock electronics. I already had a set of EMGs and BTS for it as that was the plan from the get go as I need it to be active. I'm only changing the control plate to black to look cooler and keeping the stock tuners and bridge as they work great. I did have to fine tune the nut for proper slot depth. Now it plays really great.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022