1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mod experts can you give me a hand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ejaggers, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    I’ve modded a metallic blue Indo crafted affinity P with new, electronics, pups, shielded cavity, ashtray, and parchment PG. I don’t see the point in changing the output jack, bridge and tuners. My question is, what’s the point in changing the neck? The affinity neck is nice and easy to play. I already have a MIA J with a maple neck, so I don’t necessarily need one for the P, although I do think they look better. What’s the difference in the vintage modified, classic vibe, MIM neck? What would I gain by upgrading?

One last question, wouldn't a pup cover get in the way?

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    The main reasons people swap out necks (I should know) are because they don't like the particular feel of the neck currently attached, or the neck is busted in some way (bad truss rod usually the most common offender). Were you to replace the neck with an All Parts or Warmoth neck, or even a used neck from another bass, you might gain a neck that feels better in your hands, or one that's sturdier, or any number of other positive things. However, if your current neck is comfortable for you, then by all means use it.

Regarding the different necks. Different necks of different time periods had different profiles to them making them feel different in everyone's hands. I don't know the exact details, but that's the general gist of it.

3. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    sloasdaylight, Yeah I get that.

But I've read on this site where people buy a brand new low end bass, and upgrade the neck. In this case, with a VM or CV. My question really is why? Are they that much different than an Affinity? I can see the electronics, and especially the PG. Affinity PG's are crap if you ask me.

4. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Banned

Mar 29, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    People will change the neck of their bass if it plays easier, or in the hopes of getting a lower, more efficient set-up without excessive fret buzz.
    If it plays well, why change it? I went through a phase where I was convinced I needed a Modulus bass because that graphite neck was theoretically, and dimensionally, the most consistent and accurate from top to bottom vs. wood. Since that time, I have become a neck-through design player, and I don't even think about graphite anymore.
    It's about what you like, and what sounds good.

5. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Aesthetics. I, for one, hate rosewood fretboards on 98% of basses, so I would buy a new neck for that reason alone.

6. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    I bought an Affinity to keep at work, so I wouldn't have to carry a nicer bass back and forth. The neck on it was fine, but the frets sucked. I had to file the edges down just to keep from getting cuts while moving up the neck.

Now that I've done that, it's fine - but many CVs and VMs come from the factory with a little better quality control. Same with any mass produced item...

7. I have modded alot of basses but if i buy a bass to mod and after playing it i dont like 90% of the bass i am not going to mod it, i will not swap all the parts and neck at that point just build a parts bass. Once you swap a neck it goes from modding a bass to making a parts bass IMO.

I have had an affinity and i thought the neck was the best part on it.

8. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Changing the neck will change the sound. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

9. ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    Engine207,
    I have heard that some people had quality problems with affinity's. But I can only speak for mine. My neck doesn’t have that problem. I bought it to mod and play around with, but it was fine like it was. In fact, I’m trying to see why the VM and CV are so much better. That’s actually the reason for this post. I know they are made in different parts of the world, and I’m not sure if some places are better than others, but mine is from Indonesia. I went to GC and played at MV & CV but could net see a lot of difference. I admit, I didn’t have much time that day though.

I’m seriously looking for info. Can someone tell me what I would gain by using a MV & CV neck?

nic salsus, I agree with you but I’m just looking to educate myself.

A-Step-Towards, I agree with you on the affinity neck, that’s why I’m asking what would you gain.