1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mod from True Bypass to Mute

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nate Plays Bass, May 2, 2015.

1. I have an EHX Signal Pad that I used for previous endevours. Now it's just sitting around and worth about $20.
    If you aren't familiar with these pedals, they are true bypass with a passive volume knob. When engaged, the signal is cut with the volume knob.
    I would like for it to mute when the pedal is disengaged, and be controlled by the volume knob when it is engaged. I'm assuming that this would literally be removing one wire from the switch but I'm not sure which one. I am familiar with soldering, too.

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Post a pic of the inside of the pedal and we should be able to help you out!

Nate Plays Bass likes this.
  3. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    If it's a 3PDT switch like most true bypass pedals (9 legs on the bottom of the switch) there should be 2 adjacent legs linked together (this is the signal path for bypass). Just connect this link to ground. This will ground both your bass' output & next device's input.

Nate Plays Bass likes this.
  4. I'm at work right now but I'll post it tonight. I believe it's a 3PDT switch.
    Should I wire a ground to the ground on the switch or the output/inputs ground?

5. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Input/output ground. The chassis might not be signal ground (usually is though).

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Whatever you do, don't cut the red wire!

:)

Nate Plays Bass and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  7. Bad news guys. It's a circuit board, which will make it harder to deal with. But it does look like a true bypass switch. 20150502_124346. 20150502_124503.

8. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    The 3pdt switch terminals are the 9 in the center bottom of the first picture

9. Ba55Man1ac

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I see 2 adjacent legs connected together on the bottom right in that pic. It might simply be a case of running a signal ground to either of those. I also se a "GND" on one of the other legs. Grab your mutimeter & see if you have signal ground already there - you might even be able to just 'solder blob' between that & the bypass path.

10. Hey guys,
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. I found the solution and it was quite simple. I'll be using on a Godin Solidac with an acoustic and electric output, so this will be connected to the acoustic out and act as a mute switch.

Thanks for the help! I did a 'solder blob' and it was quite simple. It works great now. Thanks! 20150509_133807.

Ba55Man1ac likes this.