1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mod Idea - Am I Crazy? Lakland & Nordstrand Content

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PastorofMuppets, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Hello

I am thinking about modding my Lakland LOG P5
    and adding a Nordstrand P/U at the bridge.

My choices include:

DC-5
    Big Stack
    Fat Stack
    Big Singles

I kind of want the additional pickup to match the bi-pole magnet design but not if the dual coils are the best fit for what I am going for sound wise.

I have a cheapo SX PJ and it sounds so good with the J pickup rolled in. It gives a nice fatness and rolls out some of what I dont really like about the P sound, at least in that SX bass.

I normally dont mod anything because of resale issues, but on the LOG I am not as concerned since the bass brand new was only like 1100 and I traded to get into it.

What are your thoughts? Id like to keep it passive but open up more sonic options as well as have a blended sound that I dig. On that SX bass I know I liked it, so my logic is that on a much nicer guitar with top of the line electronics It would be that much more killer. Am I way off on that line of thinking?

Since this isnt something I want to get wrong I thought that Id get some input from here.

100_0793.

2. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    YOU'RE CRAZY!!!!

3. care to elaborate? Im perfectly willing to accept that just want reasoning.

4. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    All joking out of the way...between the oval style bridge and the pickguard....do you have enough room to drop in anything that isn't a jazz style single coil?

5. I dont know Ive not measured. I am open to the idea of a standard jazz shape also. I just wanted the bi pole for aesthetic reasons.

Do you think a regular jazz pickup would be good there?

6. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Do you own both basses pictured? If so, and the necks are the same, why alter the LOG to make it more like the 5502? Do you really like the look of the LOG bass so much that you can't bring yourself to play the 5502 anymore? GRanted, the P PUP on the LOG doesn't sound like a soloed J on the 5502, but why not just use both basses?

7. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    I have zero exp. modding basses, but yes I think a single J would work awesome there...it may even be closer to 70's style spacing which would produce an awesome tone. You could always go with a custom pickguard as well if you wanted to add something else. The possibilities are endless really. Let us know what you decide and make sure to give us updates.

8. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    I like the PJ5 configuration and own one myself but you'll ruin the Lakland LOG P5 resale value by modifying it. I think you'd be better off trying to locate one or more PJ5's to audition against your LOG P5. Then keep the one you like better and sell the other. I made this mistake with a nice '68 Fender Precision when I was too inexperienced to know better and regretted it. :rollno:

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got Nordstrand DCs made in about 2008 or so in my 55-01. I'm a big fan of parallel/single/series coil switches. I'm in the process of finishing up the 55-01. I pulled the preamp (NTMB-L was in it) and I plugged the hole where the pot closest to the bridge pickup is and drilled the dowel in the center to put in the second (neck) coil switch in.

The bass is volume/volume/high cut (tone) with a dummy pot for the fourth hole. When I get the pot and cap the dummy will become a passive low cut.

The bass is strung with stainless steel wounds. Those aren't usually my thing and I'm looking forward to putting some flats on there again. I need to adjust the pickup height of the neck pickup.

I like the versatility. I'm not sure I'm big on the sound of Nordstrands, but I'm committed to keep them for a while. They've been in there for about three years, but I had the preamp in there and for the last year the bass was really unused. The pickups seem to be voiced with a mid scoop, at least to my ears.

Still not awful. I should get some work on it done tonight to shore up what I already have. I have to revisit the grounding a little bit (the bridge ground wire doesn't seem to be connected), I need to get the neck pickup up where it belongs and I need to see if I can find a five string set of flatwounds in my basement.

Anyway around, I'll try to get the bass somewhat wrapped up tonight and get you a recording of the bridge pickup in parallel, single and series configuration.

I posted a tutorial on wiring the coil switch in another thread. You can find it here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/55-01-nordstrand-dual-coils-294108/index7.html

I've been planning on doing a four string with a P-Bass neck pickup and a G&L MFD dual coil for a long time, so I think your idea has merit.

KO

Added: I agree that you'll damage the resale value of the LOG by modding it. I'm not advocating that you do the mod to the bass, but the fact that I have a DC with coil switch in the bridge position of a Lakland Skyline does put me in a position to provide you with data.

10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    if you just hafta butcher that bass, i vote either dual-coils or splits, not stacks. (stacks have lower output, which is why they usually go with preamps.)

an actual single will sound good, but will hum.

11. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    PastorofMuppets, you have a PM.

KO