mod my geddy lee

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eviltoilet, Aug 25, 2005.

1. eviltoilet

Mar 7, 2005
    i had my geddy lee bass for about a year and a half now, and its totally awesome. Now i think its time that i mod it to make it even more awesome :D . im open to any suggestions for what to do.

thanks for your help
  2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    new tuners, new pickguard, new knobs

just my 0.02$ :D
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it's already totally awesome, why mod it?
  4. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City

Why mess with success?
  5. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Well, maybe a nice tortoise-shell pickguard...
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    The Geddy Lee is the only new Fender Jazz that turns my head. I've tried them all and not of them come close to my Blade. The GL doesn't come close either. Nonetheless, it's a great bass.

The only mod I would make to enhance it is to replace the bridge volume pot with a balance pot. I've modified both of my Jazzes and will mod any future Jazz basses accordingly. One volume to mess with.

The other mod to enhance it is not to the bass, but to add a Sadowsky Outboard Preamp pedal in your chain. Roger Sadowsky designed these to offer huge tone improvements to vintage Jazz basses without modifying the bass itself. The sound improvement is stunning. When you emphasize the bridge pickup, and boost the bass control on the preamp, you'll be on your way to bass heaven. You won't believe what it sounds like. I'm sure the Aguilar does much the same.

My EUR $.02
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC

That is, unless you are the kind of person who subscribes to the theory:

"If it ain't broke, 'fix' it until it is"

If you like how it plays, looks, and sounds right now, why change it? I've got a Geddy and love it just how it is, bone stock. I also have a pair of Jazz "parts" basses that I assembled, and those are the ones that have been modded and pimped with different necks, pickguards, chrome pickup covers, etc.
  9. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

Hahaha That's my theory...
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

11. eviltoilet

Mar 7, 2005
    yea yea, i know i said it was totally awesome before, but i just want to make it sound even better and stuff. Because i know its possible and i want mod advice only please.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, actually that bass pretty much sounds as good as it's going to get the way it is stock. Sure, you can change out the pickups, but I thought the pickups that are in it are great and I don't think you're going to get nearly as much sound change out of them as you might think.

Also, Fender either discontinued the Geddy or is about to discontinue it. Geddys are very desirable to bassists already, and in a few years, they are going to have ridiculously high price tags. The Fenders that have been modified never get near what stock Fenders get, even if the parts on them are 100x better.

So do what you want, but if it were my bass, I'd leave it stock and totally awesome.
  13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I love my Geddy to death. The only mod that I am considering is a Hipshot bass extender, possibly replacing all four tuners with hipshots as the vintage styled Fender tuners seem a bit hard to turn. I've thought about getting a black perloid pick guard, but the white looks so sharp with the light colored maple that I doubt I ever really will. I think that the tuners are the only (arguably) weak link. There is nothing else that needs upgraded. I've also considered using a Sadowsky outboard pre - but that's not really bass mod.
  14. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Where'd you hear this. I know they removed the picture from fenders site but the product page is still there. Do you have any concrete evidence it's being discontinued?
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I had heard it from someone who works in a music store on alt.guitar.bass. Plus they usually don't pull the pics of basses they are still making. So no, I don't have concrete evidence, but I would put money on it.
  16. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

Has anybody else noticed that not only did they pull the picture - but if you looks at the specs, it now comes with a gig bag. I had to buy a case separately. I want my free gig bag.
  17. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    I've had my GL Jazz for a couple years now and have put three different sets of strings on it. The Elixir nanoweb strings are my suggestion for "modding" your GL. They just seem to be the perfect marrage to this Bass. Course, I'm an old school player and don't use a pick.