1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mod or Buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Inky13, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    So I installed a Mighty Mite fretless neck onto a Squier Affinity P- bass. It plays OK but I'm not crazy about the color (red) and PG (white). It seems like it takes an act of God to find a PG for these things and I don't know if I have the skills to do a strip and paint. I'm looking for a loaded body, but not having too much luck. I'm not looking to step on anyone's toes, but what's up with the TB classifieds? The search function seems limited, and why can't posters delete their ads? Why clutter up a site with gear that is already sold? This helps no one. Reverb.com is the same. I want to create an instrument that is "mine" but maybe I should just buy a Squier P. If I'm not using things correctly, I apologize. Thanks.

2. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'm not sure I understand the question - are you trying to find a pickguard for an affinity P Bass, a loaded body that a Mighty Mite neck will fit, or either/or?

3. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Just wondering if I should continue with the build, or bag it and buy a store-bought.

4. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Build your own! Its a vast candy store of Fender compatible parts out there, and given the low starting price of a Squire, its not like you are decreasing the value by modding it. You won't be increasing the resale value, but so what.? I've had good luck with Pickguardian, they will make a custom guard for you if you mail them a tracing or 1:1 photocopy of your original guard so all the holes line up. The Stratosphere buys brand new Fenders and parts them out, loaded bodies, wiring harnesses, you name it, but not cheap. Warmouth makes extremely nice parts, but probably cost more than the original price of the bass. There's no doubt that buying an off the shelf model is more efficient economically, but where's the fun in that? If you go that route, take a look at the Squire VM fretless Jazz, amazingly good lined fretless for $299, pretty much Jaco in a box if you like that tone. I don't know of a P style fretless of similar quality at that price level.

5. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, Squier makes a fretless P now, but I would prefer to cobble something together myself. Just having trouble sourcing out what I want. I was hoping to get a comment or two on my rant on TB classified ads. These new fangled computer thingies sometimes give me grief.

6. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Dang! I'm out of the loop for sure, never seen one of these:
    Amazon.com: Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Precision Bass, Fretless, 3-Tone Sunburst: Musical Instruments

Looks like the same ebanol fingerboard. Some people don't like the lines, I find them a huge help on accurate intonation with my fretless. I put together a Warmouth lined fretless Jazz years ago, must have sunk about $700 into it, and it sounds and plays only a little better than a $299 VM fretless right off the rack. The ebanol seems really hard, like it will hold up to roundwounds over time. I would think you could pimp out a P or J fretless for pretty short money. How is the Mighty Mite neck? I got a Strat neck from them years ago, had some finish flaws, but a lot of people swear by them.

I have only one experience with TB classifieds, simple easy transaction, so I'm no judge, but it does have the advantage of a bit of the known seller, I think most people on TB are pretty honest, and wouldn't hose anybody on a deal with the immediate feedback and condemnation on TB that would bring. It's a random, mixed bag, you never know what will pop up, some great deals, some leftover "ghosts" of sold gear. Goes with the territory of a user-run forum, I guess.

7. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    This is my third Mighty Mite so I guess they work for me. They are pretty solid but prolonged use with rounds will nick them up. Just ordered a blue body with a cool blue/grey swirly PG on it. I just didn't like the red with white PG on my other one. Hopefully, it will all come together and be playable. Thanks for the input!

8. The best reason to keep posts of sold items is so others can see what items are selling for. If you have a similar item you want to sell (or buy) then you have a guide to help price it. It's also nice to be able to go back and see how prices have dropped and risen through the years.

Hope everything goes well with the new body you found!

9. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

Warhawk likes this.