1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mod or sell?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Sell!

54 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Make it your sound, mod!

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Not sure what to do guys. I need your help. I have a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz bass, from '08. Its like brand new. Gigged once, no scratches, etc. I just dont dig it anymore. The active pickups are driving me insane, Im really hating RW at the moment, just not my thing, and I just cant get my tone with it.

I was going to keep it, buy a new neck, pups, mod it. But a friend of mine offered to buy it.

Im not sure if I should sell the bass, and buy something used off the TB classifieds meeting my wants/needs, or do the whole modding thing.

Opinions are all Im looking for.

2. Depends on what your friend offered you, if it's a good deal, sell it. If you don't like it, you don't like it. You may still not want it after you mod it but then you'll have all that extra money in it. Better to sell and buy something you'll enjoy.

3. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    If it were just the electronics that you disliked, I'd say to mod it. If you don't like rosewood, I don't think it's worth new electronics AND a new neck: just get a new bass, especially if you have an offer on the table for it.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you're adamant on doing those particular mods, have you considered selling the bass to fund a new body and hardware so you can do a parts bass?

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I would love to do a parts bass, but Im totally ignorant of anything to do with soldering, pickups, or just putting a bass together in general.

I was offered $600, with it being $809.99 since the Fender price hike. I told her I was negotiable, but not under $500.

Was I wrong? Or does this sound about right?

6. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I had a MIA Deluxe Jazz a few years ago. Some people are active jazz guys. I wasn't. I tried a new Audere before it got sold - meh - but it eventually got sold. I could have replaced the pickups and got stock tone controls, but what would the point have been other than having a pricey parts bass?

Sell it.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    You guys are just reassuring me that selling it is the best way to go. Surprisingly my pops told me it was my choice, which I didnt expect.

Thanks so far guys!

8. I think if you can get $600 out of it that would be a decent deal.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    New neck AND electronics, that's a lot of stuff to be swapping out unless you really really like the body for some reason. :p

I vote sell. Think of the net loss as a 'rental' fee. Sometimes it's worth taking that hit, just to really try something out.

10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The thing is, there is no net loss. I wont let the details out, but I would be making money if I sold it for $500 or above. So, thats what I wanted to jump on the sell train.

But shhh. ;)

11. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    if you're thinking about mod... have a plan. look at a bass similar to what you think yours will be like after the mod (of course you may not get that close) and see if you would be happy with what would result from the mod process.

secondly, if price is the only issue, then figure the price you could sell your bass for with and without the mod. if the mod increases the value of the bass and that increase isn't more than the cost of the mod, then do it. i know it can be fairly subjective, so usually mods won't get any return on your investment (roi) so aren't usually a good thing to do - strictly from a monetary standpoint.

or you could figure the price you could sell your bass for, + the $ you would spend on the mod, and see if you could buy a better bass instead.

12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Thats what Im thinking. Sell it for $500-$600, plus a used Classifieds neck, ~$200, plus pups, ~$120, thats a $850 bass on average,, if not more.

Selling is looking better and better.

13. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Sell it, buy a dyna bass for 300 and pocket 300 towards a new project. I just sold a keyboard and did this and it was the best decision I've ever made. I will never have to mod anything on it, the hardware, neck, and pickups are awesome, and my Jazz GAS is gone. It smokes my other basses.

14. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I already have one Peavey and love it! But I think Ill broaden my horizons if I get a new bass. The Musicman and SSII are the basses that made me want to play. I think one of them, used of course!, will be the next purchase.

If it comes to that.

15. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    So basically, you countered her $600 offer with a $500 one? :smug:

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Just sell it.
    There's no guarantee you'd even like it even after modding it.

I got sick and tired of doing just that years ago...why throw all that money at it just to be disappointed further.

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Not quite. She isnt a good enough friend to keep an extra $100 bucks outta my pocket! But as I said, its negotiable. If it doesnt sell, TB is the place for me!

I think Im going to save, and buy either a maple necked passive MIA Pbass, or a MM. I play mostly funk, with reggae. No metal, hard rock for me. I think this is my best bet.

18. +1 on selling.

Once you have that seed of doubt planted in your mind and you are looking on TB, the bass needs to go :) Happens here daily.

19. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I just text her. She said she is definitely interested. Im taking it over for her to try out tomorrow after school. Wish me luck boys!

Off subject, when speaking in the past tense of the word text, is it texted or text?

I.E. I just text her. VS I just texted her.

20. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Well, text is a substantive adjective in this case, not a verb. The verb is "to send," so the preterite tense would be "sent": "I just sent her a text message." Alternatively, you could say that "message" is the verb and "text" is modifying it: "I text-messaged her." As far as I know, "text" hasn't officially entered the lexicon as a verb, except as a transitive verb, meaning "to write in large letters," though that's an obsolete usage. If you want to use "text" substantively like that, I suppose you can do it however you want, as long as it makes sense to your intended audience. "Texted" fits better within the extant framework of English morphology, in my opinion, so I'd recommend it over "text" for the preterite (simple past) tense.

Hope this helps!