Mod Podge as a top coat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nerkoids, May 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
  2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Yes it works, my mom used to do this on my first bass years ago. But it yellowes pretty badly over time and is does not provides a smooth surface as other finishes does.

3. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    No disrespect to @Jebberz but I would avoid mod podge. I use this stuff all the time for crafting with my kids - my daughter uses it a lot. It's thin, has a weak bond, and also does not flow out nicely enough to permit a smooth finish. You'd have to do many, many coats to build up enough to sand back, and even then, the sanding process would likely tear out larger pieces of finish. A plus is that it will stick to nearly anything, but the minus is that it does not stick really well. For any of the crafts that require a glassier finish, we use epoxy, as its easier and safer than CA to get the job done with little fingers. For crafting a phony stained glass window for a dollhouse using clear plastic and tissue paper, there's nothing better than mod podge... :D

Panada and Axstar like this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

images2b2.png

5. I just gotta jump in here and say I haven't heard about this product since I was in high school (or before) and my mother used if for craft projects. One of those things that brings you right back to that time. While I can't recall the smell, I'd be interested to know if I remember that, it was in my house constantly when I was a kid.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021