mod to active/passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Sep 25, 2005.

1. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    i just got a used lakland 4-94 wich plays and sounds GREAT, but i have 2 ideas for moding it....

first of all, when all eq set flat, the sound a lot more louder than the passive. since all the active inputs in amps are -10dB , can i install a -10dB resistor in the end of the pre amp of my bass, so both level sound equal, and in both cases i plug it into the passive input in the amp?

i used to have a warwick fortrss 1, when set flat, both active and passive level were the same.

the other mod i like to do is replace the blend knob for a 3 way switch, so i have neck/both/bridge. i did this once with a passive jazz bass and went great, can i do it with this active lakland?

2. Well, there is no such thing as a -10 dB resistor. Resistor values are in ohms and they drop voltage as current goes through them. The voltage drop depends on the amount of current and the value of the resistor.

The -10dB switch probably attenuates (cuts) the gain in the preamp's first stage or buffer. If you attempt to merely stick a resistor in series with your bass's output, you may not get equivalent results.

Instead, I'd look carefully inside your bass's preamp to see if there's a small trim pot that you can turn and lower your output slightly.....hopefully this is all you need.
  3. dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    ill check that out,

in the case there isnt one, cant i "build" a -10dB? my cousin studies electronic engeniering, and he is fond on building this king of things, maybe we can work out a series os resistors and other elements to have an attenuetor.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the laklands have bart preamps, which most definitely do have a gain trimpot. If you take it down to minimum, with eq flat your passive and active volumes should be the same.