1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mod to Ampeg PB212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Count Bassie, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    I just got a deal done and a Portabass (sounds kind of like a camping toilet, doesn't it... :D ) 212 cab was involved. It's great for weight! But I'd like to know if there's a mod that will make it a more efficient cab... maybe adding a port, a different driver, whatever.

Anyone with experience in this regard? I'm all ears... thanks!

2. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    No replies... seriously? This seems like a worthy and challenging project to me. But fine. I'm planning on putting a couple Delta 12LFAs in there at this point, and will leave it sealed due to the low internal volume.

When there's time I'll build a new cab, a little bigger, and port it.

There I go.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I bought the 1 x 12" version and blew the original speaker in no time. Decided to load a cast frame 4 ohm Peavey Black Widow. Coupled w/ a GK 1001RB this cab can now handle an amazing amount of volume and pushes tons of air.
    I think you'll be very happy w/ stronger drivers.

P1020599.

4. astack

astack Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Hey I have that cab. I like the form factor a lot and actually the sound of the stock drivers. Just really inefficient.

Options for drop in replacements I've used are:
    -Eminence Deltalite 2512II (efficient, light, mid-present, ~$100 each)
    -Faital 12PR300 (16ohm) (inefficient, light, very even, ~$200)
    -Fane 12-500LF (inefficient but can handle TONS of power to get loud, heavy, growly, ~$80 new but discontinued. A pair is for sale in the classifieds, though.)

Another I have not tried but you can watch a video from Kringle77 with are Delta 12B's.

Edit:
    My short review of a few of those:
    Deltalite and Fane: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/1...n-emi-vs-fane-926917/index3.html#post14648883
    Faital: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/1...n-emi-vs-fane-926917/index4.html#post14667508

Kringle's vid:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/kringle77-sealed-2x12-video-1008579/#post14752020

As a bonus, you could try swapping the tweeter for a small midrange:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/faital-3fe20-4fe30-tiny-mid-ranges-tweeter-replacements-917877/

5. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey, thanks for the replies! Def looking into a stronger driver, but am a bit bugged by the small size of the cab for getting oomph out of it... I did look at your links there Astack, and I'll bet the Deltalites would be just fine...

Now I also have a Bag End 18 loaded with a JBL E-155, and I set up my Peavey Megabass head running the PB212 and Bag End in bi-amp mode. A good deal louder and very much more present than either cab alone. I had the x-over set between 350-400 Hz.

But I'd like to use the Porta-Bass alone for small gigs, and need it to have some 'bloom'. I really do like the small footprint, much more meaningful than weight to me. Also I don't mind the sealed design, but maybe an advantage would be gained from adding a port? However, might that make it less viable as the top cab in a bi-amp config?...

One more idea I got was to re-baffle the cab for a pair of 10s. I have some blown neo drivers from an Avatar 210 (cab gone now), and I could get them re-coned and put those in the cab. I could also load some Emi BP-102s in there.

Somebody stop me!! :D

6. astack

astack Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    The Deltalites won't really bloom, but they'll take a lot of bass boost to fill out the sound. The Fanes do bloom a bit (for a sealed cab), which I like a lot.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Adding ports is a fairly simple mod, and can be undone. I'd try it sealed first and see what you think. Porting will put some "bloom" in the sound compared to the same speaker in a sealed box.

PawleeP likes this.
  8. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Cool... thanks guys. I'll mull this over a bit, and will try it sealed first, whichever way I go here.

Don't like the 10s idea?

9. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Been using the cab for my upright, and it's working ok as-is. I still may put a set of re-coned 10s from an Avatar 210 in there with an overlay baffle. They're neos, and always sounded pretty good. If there's enough internal volume maybe I'll port it...

10. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Just updating 'cause I'm here: The cab will remain un-modded; it's now my daughter's string harp rig. It's a nice match with my GK MB200, and I'll eventually find her a little amp of her own to go with. Probably another MB200... apparently bass amps tend to make great harp amps.

11. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    will, 2 12's in in a sealed cab? blk widows?
    didn't seem to like a ported cab in the past
    maybe tri-amped with the wids in the center
    test will be this week!
    will report bak