Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mod to my Carvin RC210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rllefebv, Feb 2, 2002.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    At a gig in early January, (the one with the annoying drunk gal who wouldn't leave me alone :rolleyes: ), I roached the third set of Carvin PS10's... I got my combo in '98 and put it through it's paces on a regular basis... The speakers blew on the last song of the night, so I was okay with that. I've always been okay with Carvin speakers, being a deal at $50 a pop, but I was sick of them blowing at gigs.

Anyway, I decided that this time I would replace them with Eminence Kappa's... The difference is startling. When I got everything going last night, I was pretty pleased with the tone, but it had been almost a month since I heard the rig with Carvin speakers, so there was really nothing but my memory to compare it to... This afternoon, I brought it over to my buddie's house and A/B'd it with his RC210 cabinet, using an A/B box between my head and the two cabs. Now I can say that without a doubt, my amp sounds DRAMATICALLY BETTER with the Kappa's. My buddy ordered some before I left...

For those of you with Carvin cabs who are unsatisfied... there is hope.

just thought I'd share...

-robert

2. How much were the kappa's and where did you get them? I have a RL410 cab and am definately not satisfied!

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    TJ... They were $87.28 from Parts Express,

http://www.partsexpress.com

I gig continously with this rig, so the cost was cheap vs. the security of having quality speakers in place. Be aware of the fact that these are heavy!! Compared to a brand new Carvin PS10

[​IMG]

-robert

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey there man, thats great news! i am constantly frustrated with my RC210's crappy speakers. so now my question, do you play a 5 string through the kappas ever? and if so how do they manage? do they put out more volume than the PS10's?? thanks!

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Well SR, I'm not a fiver, but I can tell you that the Kappa's definitley sounded 'throatier' than the Carvin's... sounded like they could handle more bottom. I would think that their response would still tend to be somewhat defined by the cabinet that they are installed in, but the rig definitely sounded more substantial. How's that for saying, 'I don't know'?? :D The Kappa's are rated at 400W...

I've also filled my cabinet with Acousta-Stuf polyfil, (available from Parts Express), which really helped the cabinet handle lows much better. I did this about six months ago when I was changing out my last set of Carvin's and there was a noticeable improvement then. I've read pros and cons about using internal damping foam, and all I can tell you is that I noticed a difference. The cabinet that I A/B'd against yesterday was filled with the same stuff. I bought a 5lb bag and had sold my buddy the rest.

HTH,
    -robert

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    heh. thanks robert. yeah those kappas defenitly do look just a bit more substantial than the PS10s. 400 watts apiece? not thats what im talkin about! like i said, im rather unsatsfied with the PS10s in my cab, and ive been in the market for a new cab for a while now. ever try pulling the R600 out of teh RC210 and bridging it into an eden D410XLT? now that is the voice of god, let me tell ya. however, your experience with the kappas gives me something to think about whilst i scrounge up the cash needed to overhaul my rig. thanks!

~Scott

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Scott,

I've had the head out of the combo several times... I've gigged with it, (once), into a pair of Eden D210XLT's and it sounded fantastic. I've always liked my RC210, but that was the first time that I really felt that it was worth more than the money I paid. The head is killer. At various times, (like mostly when the 210's speakers were blown :rolleyes: ), I've had the head going straight to a home-made 1X15, which is another great head+cab combination. My last three gigs were played with this combination, as the combo was out of commission. Can't wait for the 16th to see how it sounds with the new speakers in a gig...

-robert

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    please let us know how it does at the gig!

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I also have an RC210. I love the head, but the speakers are not everything they could be. If Carvin would make a deal with a hiend speaker manufacturer, and a high end pickup manufaturer, I think they would be a force to be reckoned with.

I took the series 2 head, and I am thinking about pairing it with an Aguilar 1x12" cabinet. Take one for smaller gigs, and then, get another one for louder gigs.

I have no idea what I'll do with the cabinet. Any Cyclops owner looking to give the 2x10 combo a try?

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Gosh I wish I would have came across this while I still had the Cyclops. That would have been cool!

11. I put an Emminence in my Carvin 15" a while back. Sounds better, but not a whole lot different.

I just ordered those Kappas you mentioned earlier. We'll see what the Carvin PB500 thinks of them. Otherwise an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro is in my (distant) future. Then eventually a new cab. I'll let you guys know what I think.

And just out of curiosity, what did that foam do exactly?

12. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i used to have a carvin head and just recently swtiched to Ampeg... the carvin did the job pretty well though, i just got the ampeg because i was switching to a pre-poweramp setup. I think you'll be happy with your carvin head and some new speakers..

13. BassM I don't know if you got my e-mail about your RL210 cabinet but I would like to talk to you about it. I asked Carvin if they would sell just the cabinet without the head and they pretty much told me to go %*#@ myself. Anyway I would be interested in seeing what we could do.

14. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am going to do mine this weekend if I can. I will let you all know what I find to be different too. :D

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, JBplayer. I got your email, but when I tried to respond to it, it came back as undeliverable. I sent you a PM. Are you using a different email than the aol?

16. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Any RL 210 owners out there want to give the cyclops a try :confused:

17. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just went to Parts Express and they only list 12" and up for the Kappa, I wonder if they are out...you guys bought them all!

18. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    lermgalieu... Search for part #290-426... It looks like they're still listed.

Scott... I got a chance to use my RC210 last night at a blues jam, and the amp kicked. Definitely had a different flavor in a band context. Pushed it fairly hard with no breakup, (way past the point where I used to notice it getting sloppy)... The improvement was more noticeable than when I play alone. Very focused lows and mids... The cabinet seems to speak very well with these speakers. I don't really know all the theoretical stuff involved with matching drivers to cabinets and efficiencies, but I know what sounds good to me. Yeah, I'm happy with the speakers! :D

The foam... Acousta-Stuf... According to Parts Express,

"Acousta Stuf is a sound absorption, dampening fiber which will deepen bass, provide cleaner midrange and improve the dynamic extension of any speaker system. Acousta StufTM will outperform Dacron, foam, and fiberglass. "...

That's pretty much exactly what it did. I was skeptical when I first bought it, but there was a definite improvement even when I still had the stock speakers in there. I read a post where bgavin suggested keeping the filler at least 1 port diameter away from the opening of the port and suggested using a fabric netting to do this. I originally had the filler pretty much up against the port opening, like the diagram that came with the product showed. I moved it back after reading the post, and I have to say that the cabinet seemed to breathe a bit more, and the lows were better, (okay, it's pretty subtle, but my buddy and I convinced ourselves that we could hear a difference with our rigs side by side). It's really nice to have a bud with an identical piece of equipment when it comes time to compare mods...

-robert

19. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    Are these completely drop in replacements for the carvins? I figure they are, just wanted to confirm.