1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mod to reduce output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Low Key, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    Two of my hotter active EQ humbucker basses tend to overload the input of DIs, effects and amps (basses are EBMM Bongo and Stingray). Is there a bass wiring or modification that can be done to reduce max volume a few dB? I'm curious about changes to the bass instead of having to use effects, pedals and input adjustments everywhere I go. My most recent DI has to have the input volume almost all the way down or else it clips.

It's true that I can simply turn down the volume on the bass, but that's a variable setting that will be tough to make consistent verses having it all the way up. If there was a way to add a detent to a volume pot, perhaps that would also work.

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Get a volume knob with numbers on it and a regular ol' Kluson knob pointer (ie. Common Gibson setup). Beyond that, you'd need a DPDT toggle on your output and have to experiment with various values of resistor until you found one that meets your needs.

saabfender likes this.
  3. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Lower the pickups. I've found that by far the easiest way to tame extra gain. Often just lowering the volume doesn't work well.

cataract, Pilgrim, Chrisk-K and 3 others like this.
  4. There is no gain with pickups, since they are the source. To have gain you need an input & a higher output.
    Never actually tried it, but I think installing pots that are half the value of the current ones should do it.
    (specifically the volume pot)

5. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Without pickups there is no gain :wacky:.

6. Without pickups there is no source or output, but without an input & and output there is no gain.

7. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    You could argue the pickups are the first stage as the source is the strings. Lowering pickups produces a less hot signal, giving the same effect as lowering gain. Pickups near strings produce a hotter signal to the next stage be it an active pre amp or to the amp pre. The effect is like turning up gain.

lowplaces likes this.
  8. If the gain is 1.1 & you lower the pickups, the gain remains 1.1.
    The source changes.

n1as likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Swapping pots out on an EBMM isn't as easy as on a Fender.

OP, does your D.I. not have a pad switch?

BlueMINI likes this.
  10. I know next to nothing about Music-Man stuff, they don't have a gain control on the preamp?

11. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    The ratio might remain the same technically but the signal from the source (the string) actually goes down.

lowplaces likes this.
  12. You explain it much better :smug:

13. My Bongo is the same way, I just turn the input and output down a bit on my empress compressor.

14. I have removed my postings from this thread because they were misplaced and not relevant to the discussion. My first mistake was in responding to a thread that I had not read in its entirety. To the Talkbass members in general, I apologize.

My second mistake was to let matters not related to the thread creep into the discussion. This was not the time or place to say the things I said to you KBD, and for that I also apologize.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Jim C likes this.
  15. If you put in a 10K Ohm volume pot, I'll bet the volume drops considerably.
    One lug of the pot is the input from the pickup, the other end is chassis ground.
    The less resistance between the two, the lower the output is going to be.

16. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    Get a volume pedal, set it to your liking and secure the pedal position with a tape.

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    IMO, any DI used for a bass should be able to easily handle the signal, just like any amp should. Companies like EB make ‘em hot for a reason. It’s a characteristic of the bass, not something I’d try to adjust by any means other than turning the volume down. Lowering pickups will usually change the tone, swapping pots cat have all sorts of effects...I’m not saying either is bad, just that it’s probably easier to get a good DI and keep it in your gig bag.

18. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    screw those pickups all the way down. If they have foam under em, remove that and screw em in further

19. Don't a lot of volume pedals have a knob for calibrating them?
    If you've got one like that, you could just calibrate it to attenuate the right amount.