1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modal tune?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by Aor82, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Aor82

Aor82

Apr 15, 2017
    Hi All!

I have a question about this tune by Hank Mobley. The A section with the continous Cm7 chord require a walking on C Dorian mode?

Attached Files:

2. That would be the first step . I suggest listening to the recording . As you can hear chromatic passing notes make the bass line more interesting . Actually the theme is also very walking bass like . Just experiment and find out what works and what does not . You can also try playing II-V-I progressions to make the line more fluent and make it easier to keep the form .
    Great tune , have fun !

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

You could also borrow ideas from the Intro....
    F6/C = Dm7/C = C D Eb F G A Bb C
    Emphasising some of the bold notes on bars 2, 4 & 6 during SOLOS will imply the ii chord hence Intro chord pattern.

Try writing a few interesting Walking Bass line against the melody in the A Section.
    Eg. Contrary motion (descending)
    C(8va) C Bb Bb | A A G G | etc.

Eg. Harmony
    C Eb Bb C | D D G BbC_|_

Eg. Or play unison.

5. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Torrance, CA
    All good suggestions. What did the bassist play on the Hank Mobley recording?

Don Kasper likes this.
  6. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I hear a bunch of Cminor with lots of A and some Ab (lots of Dorian and Natural Minor) in the bass, and some passing F,F#,G, that parallel the melody, along with some chromatic movement. Soloists are playing a lot of Cminor Dorian and also explore the Bnatural in the Cminor tonality, as well. (I would guess the bass does as well. See next sentence.)
    The recorded bass sound and mix is very natural, blended, and NOT the IN YO' FACE Bass-Heavy mix that became popular later on. His notes, (to my ear), have a lot of "air" around them, so to speak, (I like this). Sounds like Guts, as well. Very "1963".
    Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Jeff Bonny and Fredrik E. Nilsen like this.