1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modded Bergantino NV610 thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Jan 21, 2012.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    As some of you know, I have been running experiments with my nv610 to get a brighter tone. I always loved the tight punch and growl of the stock cab but, could never quite get the top end I wanted without getting too clacky. I experimented with

-jensen mod10-50 drivers (one or two) full range, crossed over, in the same cab compartment or in a seperate foam baffle mid chamber. I loved all versions of that experiment but felt that I was talking away some of the cabs low end. The best version was to have one 10" crossed at 800hz in it's own chamber in the upper right hand side of the cab, controlled by an attenuator. The sound was almost perfect with just alittle clack. The left side vertical columb was low passed at 800hz, the remaining two 10"'s were full range. This profided the best dispersion of any of my exeriments.

-Jensen mod8-20. This is where Im at and will probably stay. What I have now is 5 stock berg 10" woofers run full range and the 8" in it's own chambere, crossed at 800hz and controlled with an attenuator. What I have found is that if I turn the 8" off and then turn up the highs on the amp, I can turn the top end up until the woofers start to get that growl. Then I just add in alittle 8" for the extra top end and Im done. If I turn the 8 all the way up I can leave the eq flat but, there is no growl, just very clean and perfect. Sometimes thats great but, I like uglier tones. I now have options.

At last nights gig I ran this version and it's the most cutting tone I have ever had. The dispersion was about 80% of what the fully crossed over version was but, I think it's a fair trade because I probably wouldn't get enough growl the other way with 3 of the woofers low passed.

If I think of it, I'll take a picture of the cab at tonights gig. The adaptor I made to mount the 8" in a 10" hole is made from a sheet of aluminum and was cut by hand so, it's not pretty but, it sure works.

Attached Files:

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I used an eminence 2-way 800hz crossover, a foam baffle chamber from partsexpress, some matress foam to stuff the chamber and a 100 watt eminence attenuator. Except for the 10" to 8" adaptor, pretty much anyone could do this mod with just a screwdriver.

I was determined to keep this cab and get what I wanted out of it. I stupidly sold my first one. Not again. :)

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've always been intrigued by the NV610; however, I generally miss a tweeter or coaxial driver in any tweeterless cab I've played, even gold standard tweeterless cabs like the 810E.

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    How do you guys think old SVT CTS speakers would sound in these?

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've heard a 4x10 version using the old speakers and can say that have much more top end than the stock berg drivers but less lows and less power handling. But, maybe 2 of those mixed with 4 stock ones would be really good. Still not as bright as my mod8 driver but, good enough for most people.

6. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    I know it's technically incorrect to run different size drivers full-range, but I preferred the NV425's (one 15 & three tens) top-end extension over that of an NV610. Having gotten used to the NV425, the NV610 seemed kinda dark on the top end.

Keep up the cab tone search, it's fun to read.

7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    If I decided to go after more top end sparkle, I would track down a Trace Brite Box or Hartke 405 to set on top. That should do it. Have considered it but just not important enough for me. Besides I just use one of my other cabs, like the AE212 when I need that more hifi thing.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I've tried the bright box before. Pretty cool but, not quite right for me. It a really fine line to get what I want. Pretty much any of the 6.5" mids and smaller that I've used can have a bit of a nasty bite to them. Except one of the faital pro's but, that one wasn't sensative enough to use with the nv610. The same one used in the baer cabs actually. It seems that 8" drivers have enough top end to work but are smooth sounding. It's that fine line between just enough paper cone top end and tweeter nastiness when using overdriven tones. There are a few other drivers that I'd like to try for top end but, this mod8 just seems to work for me, my bass, amps, etc. AND, IT"S CHEAP!

9. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Yup, that makes sense. The tweets can turn a lot of people off (other musicians).

I wonder if you could make a separate smaller cab with the 8" drivers and a crossover that would allow a 4 ohm power section to drive both cabs; kind of like the Brite Box. A little more hauling, but would allow you to more easily play around with a bunch of configurations without messing with the NV.

Like you, I sometimes wish the NV had a little more top end; but in all honesty, some pretty discriminating (and hard to please) ears at my gigs have time and again been very happy with what the NV does in the mix. That top end detail is important maybe for soloing, but doesn't come through most standard pop band mixes, IME.

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have thought about building the 8" into a bright box but, the less trips to the truck, the better. And, those 5 10" woofer that are left can put out more than I need. And I play pretty loud.

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I've been kinda wondering if you'd ever gigged your un-modded NV610 with any other amps besides your Shuttle 9.2?

12. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    70's svt, ashdown abm500 and MK500, thunderfunk, about 6 different preamps, genz shuttlemax.........I think thats it. The genz is actually the brightest and my favorite. But, the stock cab still needs some top end for my tastes.

13. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Pretty similiar to what Barefaced is doing on the new '69er cab. Five of the same 10" speaker and one full range 10" driver crossed over at some point.

14. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
  15. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I actually got the same horn and x-over from Jim and was going to do it but, then after running some different mids and tweets in a separate box live, as experiments, I came to the conclusion that the mid drivers "throw" the sound out in the room better and the tweets either got lost or bounced around off the walls. I still have the parts and will probably use them in another experiment some day. Im glad that I didn't cut a hole in my cab before trying more mids. The tweet does sound great with the nv610 though. It's just not the sound I wanted for live rock band use. Awsome at home though. I'd recommend that most players build a bright box with a good mid and a tweet to keep options open.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Im REALLY at a loss as to why you would do this. If ya wanted an NV with a little more top end just get the 412 and don't mangle a great cab that sits deservedly at the top of alot of players lists. In the interests of full disclosure, I too tend to think that while the 610 is stellar it is a little dark. I found that it can be more the character of the amp or pre feeding it though. Once I got my nv610 being juiced by my JGR pre that was no more! It totally worked the magic on it and its just perfect now. I would suggest trying differently voiced amps way before monkeying with a great design....now youre 2 cents richer....I mean hell, it could just be your bass, or setup, or strings...change ALL of that first before modding a cab. If my pickup is too high everything sounds dark, even with a stingray. If I have certain strings everything sounds hollow, or tinny, or ill defined.....im at a loss here. 20 or 40 bux on strings and a set up adjustment might do the trick that youre looking for and save you alot of time, money and one great cab!

Ps....not trying to harangue ya...its just that when I first saw this thread title I thought it was one of those spoof threads cos noone could be seriously doing that, but lo and behold......

17. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Finally a pic of this modded cab and my new lds mini-modded cab.

Attached Files:

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Eyeballkid, don't worry, no cabs were harmed in the making of this film. :smug:

19. Paint the adapter plate black if it's there to stay maybe?

20. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Yeah, I most likely will and trim up the foam while the cab is apart.