1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modded Boss CS-3 vs Stock Boss LMB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by phillm47, Jul 12, 2008.

1. I recently purchased a Humphrey Audio modded CS-3 for bass. Pedal is to be used for live performance only. I haven't had much time to play around with it, but so far the settings that seem to work best for me are Tone at 3:00, Attack at 10:00-10:30, Sustain at 9:00, and Level at unity gain (between 12:00-1:00).

The settings I seem to like appear that this pedal is set more as a limiter than as a compressor. I'm starting to wonder if I would be better off just getting a stock LMB-3 for half the cost. The modded CS-3 is quiet, and sounds very good. I really don't hear any artifacts. It also "seems" like having the ability to adjust the attack would be a plus. I can't help but wonder, now, that for my use, and how I've ended up setting the CS-3, that I would be just as well off with a stock LMB-3 for half the price of this modded pedal.

I've never played a LMB-3. If the modded Humphrey does what the LMB-3 does, and is quieter, more high-fi, cleaner...etc... I'll just be content and call it day. If on the other hand, the LMB-3 sounds just as good, does the setting as above, and only lacks in the ability of higher compression of the modded CS-3, then it may be more prudent to return this pedal and go the LMB-3 route.

Thoughts or suggestions from those that have traveled this road?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've A/B'ed them extensively. The modded CS-3 has a more musical tone IMO, and it doesn't have the "pop" artifact that plagues the LMB-3. If you hadn't yet bought either one, and were on a tight budget, I'd tell you the LMB is just fine (it really is). But since you already have the modded CS-3, keep it- it's a little better, and trading down would not be worth the hassle, especially since you wouldn't actually recoup hardly any of your initial cost.

3. Hi Bongo, I was hoping you'd chime in. Your compressor reviews were instrumental in leading me in the modded CS-3 direction. Humphrey offers a 7 day return policy, so financially speaking, I would just be out the shipping costs. Sweetwater sound has the LMB-3 for $62.00, and they are less than 3 miles from where I work. Again, I never tried the LMB-3, and was starting to think there was no difference between these two units for the settings I am using and my purpose. I'm not un-happy with the performance of the modded CS-3, but at $155 shipped vs $62 + tax, I had to wonder about it. Reading what you've posted in this thread, Bongo, indicates to me there is a difference, and thats enough to convince me to keep the modded CS-3.

Anyone have suggested setting for the CS-3 they would like to share?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021