Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modded Essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Sep 20, 2002.

1. I thought this may be of interest to Essex owners. Due to some recent changes in my arsenal, and the fact that most of my gigs lately seem to be upright bass, I ended up with a spare pair of Seymour Duncan Antiquities for Jazz, and also a J-retro. Rather than having them lying around, I bought a '75 model Essex and installed them, along with a set of TI Jazz Flats. The only mod necessary was to shave about 1/16" off the bottom of the cavity to allow room for the battery. A black pickguard will complete the job.
    The end result is quite amazing. This model has a fairly decent ash body, and puts out a quality of sound which is way above its cost. There are some rough areas, after all it's a very cheap bass, such as the nut, but a little more refinement will make it quite acceptable.
    At least it'll keep me going until my recently ordered Cirrus, 6 string with Redwood top, arrives! Heh, heh.....

2. i have been wanting to put duncans in mine, i have heard alot about them

3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I have been playing bass for 39 years now and have been through hundreds of basses, mostly Fenders. I am hear to tell you that just because it is an American Fender does not make it a better bass. I have to say that I prefer the necks on the Mexican P basses to the American Standards. And the sound of the Mexican active Jazz over the American version. With some changes in hardware, bridge etc there aint much difference other than resale. After reading about the Essex on this site I ordered an SJB today. Hey for the money you can't hardly loose. I have heard others put them at a higher quality level than the MIM. I will let you know. I may want to put in a j-retro as well. I'll let you know when it gets here next week. Down Low! Cogno

4. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I just put a Bad Ass II on my SJB62 today and love it. Other than the nut, this will probably be my last upgrade for it. I've spent less than $200 on this bass and I think sounds and plays better than my $500 MIM P-Bass Special (comes stock with a jazz neck). Although to give the MIM credit, I haven't changed the bridge on it yet, and it's bridge isn't much better than stock essex bridge.

My .02

5. You mentioned having to route for the J-retro, but what about the pups? Did they require routing as well. I just bought an Essex and I want to replace the pups with either SD Basslines, or Bart's.

:)