Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modded Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan1099, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So, I bought myself a few birthday presents this weekend, and did the following to my Marcus Miller:

-Shielded bass
    -Put in Aero Type 1 pickups
    -Removed preamp, wired bass Volume/Blend/Tone with an on/off switch.
    -Installed straplocks
    -New Moody 2 1/2" black leather strap
    -InCase Slim Bag

It's like a whole new bass! The new pickups/passive tone are much much more to my liking, with more highs/lows then before, and clarity out the wazoo. It's almost like I can hear more of my finger on the string, too, if you know what I mean. Also, it seems much more responsive to right hand placement/attack changes. And it's dead silent now, too. I have a newfound love for this bass, now. I can't put it down.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sounds way cool! Pictures or it doesn't exist? Can't wait to check it out.

3. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I'll get some pics up here as soon as I get a chance. I can't wait to try out your Sad, too! We really need to get everyone together sometime soon. it's too bad I can't make the clinic tonight, or I'd bring it there.

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sounds great Dan!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds cool. Whattya gonna do with the preamp? ;)

6. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I have a marcus bass....fooled around with 2 different preamps and 2 different sets of pickups. Finally figured out that a jazz bass is meant to be passive, and just yanked out that nasty ass stock preamp and left it passive.

It sounds a little different than a traditional j-bass, but I like it.

7. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    My girlfriend is keeping the old preamp. She's an EE student, and is in to that kind of stuff. She's the one that wired it all up for me, as she is much more handy with an iron than I am. I'm sure she'll find something fun to do with it.

8. I wasn't aware women like that existed in real life. Marry her. :D

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, she bought me a Tacoma once for no reason to. She's a real winner. :D

10. +1....and SOON! :hyper:

Peace,

T

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

thats hot

12. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston

13. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Isn't the stock pre Mighty Mite or something? Eww... Nice mods, can't wait to see/hear it!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope. Fender, and I happen to like it.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Before I do!

16. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    I had a Marcus bass who I sold to a close friend, who is more of a marcus player than I... I put in an Aguilar OBP3 (which simply is awesome), and also put on some hipshot tuners.

Great bass!!!

Q: Where did you get the Incase slim gigbag? Those guys are not producing them any longer.. All that advertising and... Poof!!!!

17. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Just to prove that it exists....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a picture of the shielding (by yours truly) and the wiring, which, as mentioned earlier, was done by my wonderful lady.
    [​IMG]

And TPLyons, what's the deal, trying to scam my preamp, AND my girlfriend? Jerk. :D

18. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Mine has got a Hipshot D-tuner, although I'd eventually like to replace the other three with hipshots, merely because they're a little rough. They still hold their tuning fine.

I picked up the slim bag from TB member Davidmwilson. I think he just put a tour bag up, too. That might still be available.

19. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Yeah.. I did the drop D as well. That bass is so fun and easy to play!!! Enjoy it!

20. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Still debating what to tell people that my fourth "dead" knob does. Maybe I'll buy a knob that says "funk," or something, and try to convince people it's a sophisticated tone shaping circuit.