1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Modded MTD Z5, Nordy Big Splits and Bart NTMB

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rodneyat, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    FS is my highly modified MTD Z5.

The pickups have been replaced with Nordstrand Big Splits. The stock preamp has been replaced with a Bart NTMB pre. It has just been setup and checked out by the Atlanta Bass Gallery. They were actually amazed by how good this thing sounds. I also replaced the original gun metal finished knobs with MTD USA style knobs. I have the original pickups and original knobs. Ships with a padded gig bag.

The tone is really nice. The big split pickups give it some nice punch and low end. A HUGE improvement over the stock electronics. And, the neck and fretwork are quite impressive. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it was all done.

19mm spacing, 35" scale. Mahogany body, burl maple top, rosewood fretboard. Very light..less than 8lbs.

$800 shipped. No trades

mtdz5_2087.

mtdz5_2088.

mtdZ5_0091.

mtdZ5_0096.

mtdZ5_0100.

2. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Flurry of PMs...All responded.

3. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Springfield, IL
    Bass Gear Magazine
    I like it bump. Nice modifications!

4. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Is this still available? I'm trying to decide between yours and another modded Z5 the they also replaced the bridge and tuners! Decisions, Decisions!

5. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    A lot of interest since yesterday, but still available.

6. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    On hold...pending payment

7. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Back on the blocks

8. Tewest86

Tewest86 Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    To the other basses you have or played, how would you describe the tone of this bass?

9. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Tone is always a subjective thing..but I will give you a little bit of my opinion. First, compared to any other USA MTD that I have owned or played. The tone on this one a bit more rounded and definitely has more low end presence. But, I did recently play a USA MTD that had almost the same wood combo and it sounded very similar. But, I do think the Nordstrand pickups definitely add more punch and more definition over the Bart soapbars found on USA MTD basses. Compared to the stock pickups and preamp that come in the Z series..This is not even in the same ball park. The stock preamp and pickups are very flat and dull sounding. This bass comes to life compared to that.

I hope that helps.

10. PM sent!

11. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    SOLD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.