1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modded my Peavey Millennium, maybe took a step backwards!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I was going to assemble a parts bass, but decided not to. I purchased some Fender American J pickups here for that project and decided to try them in my Peavey. I dropped them in this morning. There is a tiny (if any ) tonal improvement and the output isn't as hot. The BXP's are cool just as they are. :meh:

2. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Very interesting. I'll bet many people thought that dropping Fender pickups into a BXP would be a big improvement. You likely ended up saving a lot of people time and money.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I personally have liked the BXP pickups I've played more than those in the various Fender and Squier Jazzes I've played because the BXP versions are hotter and that is th sound I prefer from that type of pickup. Others may find th other way, because taste is subjective.

I wouldn't call is a step backwards, just a step away from what you personally prefer.

4. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Indeed, I was about to put Fender Noiseless into my SX jazz, and I saw people saying that aside from hum, there was no much of the improvement. I guess budget companies/guitar ranges are simply getting better at producing medium/good quality pickups. Either that or they've got better at instrument design so they make pickups that complement whatever the woods are, even if they are terrible (which is not a case in neither BXP nor SX basses). This leads to the idea that fender pickups have the most potential exactly with fender parts, which is logical. So I guess you can't say BXP pickups are better than Fender's, but they probably work better since they're designed to work with those woods and in that exact position.

All this being said, it doesn't mean that custom pickups are bad, a friend of mine bought a cheap Aria jazz copy and put quarter pounders into it. The action is too high since frets suck, tuners barely hold tune, nut is disintegrating, the bridge is rusty and two of three pots hiss when turned. But... does that thing sound KILLER. No, seriously, it seems there are pickups that can take a dead guitar and turn it into a monster, and that there are pickups that simply complement good parts. I have no clue how that works, but it is apparent that there's some truth to that.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    A Peavey Mill 5 BXP was my first bass. Still own it and it is a champ! I need to clean it up and it could use some new pots, but I think it sounds and plays great!

6. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I don't want to derail the thread, but how are peavey BXPs with a money to quality ratio? I am considering getting one just because it looks awesome on stage :D

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You can get them for around 150 bucks. Beefy bridge with string through body, lightweight, necks are thin and smooth. Not the best looking bass in the world but it turned out to be a good purchase.

8. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Depends which BXP you're talking about. "BXP" is Peavey's all-encompassing import range. There are several models within it. But, in general, you'd be very hard pressed to find a better deal buying any BXP on the used market.

9. I had a Milli BXP until I got a Cirrus BXP, then I sold the Milli. Now I'm not sure why I did that. It had a typical Peavey neck - thin, narrow and fast - looked pretty and made some wonderful noises, although a little noisy if only playing on one pup. I guess the Cirrus made it seem a little "cheap"? Then when I had an unfortunate battery incident at a gig, I decided I needed a passive backup. Should have kept the Milli! But the Patriot I picked up is amazing, and I paid the same for it as I sold the Milli for, so I think I ended up better off. But, I wouldn't hesitate to own another Milli, maybe a trans black one...