1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modded my SWR LA-15...ro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeathBar73, Mar 22, 2009.

1. HeathBar73

HeathBar73

Nov 18, 2008
    Hello everyone!

Well, despite the good advice, my DH and I had a wild hair and decided, since the SWR was used gear anyway and no longer under warranty, that he'd crack that puppy open and see what he could do w/it.

DH, here. I'll give the nitty gritty on specs. Yes the back plate gets very hot even at low, low volumes. The output is probably biased to the moon, but I'm not ready to mess with that. I thought what the heck, and cut a hole right under the heatsink and let that puppy air out. The h/s fins really should be vertical, but what am I, an engineer? I went overkill and mounted some fans blowing out the back with a separate p/s, but that was a little too much, even for me. The airflow of the speaker pumping works pretty darn good by itself. I'll adjust the area of the port to compensate for the area of the hole. I did try a Eminence Delta 15LFA, and that sounds pretty good, but that driver needs a big box, so that may be short lived. I think the stock driver just doesn't have a very high efficiency. You need to milk that 100 watts for all it's worth. I know your asking, all this for a SWR LA15? Hey, I've done more stoopider before.... :rollno:

DSCF2257.

DSCF2258.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Nice job with the metalwork!

As long as you don't get noticeable chuffing or air noise through the heatsink hole, you may not have to adjust the cabinet port. You've only added a few square inches of additional porting.

I'd figure the percentage change to the port size to see if what you added is significant.

3. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I changed the OEM 8" in my LA-8 to a Celestion from a BBII. The air that comes out of the 1/4" inputs on the amp is outrageous now. I can crank it all the way up with just a little distortion. It is fun now. Mine doesn't get hot.

4. mazinga26

mazinga26

Jul 16, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey HeathBar73,

Any chance you could give more info on your mod? How you hooked up the fans and what size fans you put in. Also, what were your results? I just got this amp for a steal in mint condition. I would like to do your mod cause it definitely gets hot :-( It sounds great though and I just want to prevent any damage from the heat. Thanks in advance for any info you can forward. Also, if anyone else has any tips I'd love to hear them.

Thanks and Tace care all,
    Mainga26

5. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    Yeah HeathBar73 I got a LA15 yesterday and really like the sound.Can you share what you did like mazinga26 mentions? Please.

6. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I think I will just drill holes my sheet metal skills are not good.

7. The OP was last seen online on March 29 2009

Unless you know precisely what you are doing leave the amp alone!! It's a very simple matter to ruin a perfectly good amplifier by trying to "fix" it.

Dricoman and yakmastermax like this.
  8. Dricoman

Dricoman

Apr 19, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I played the LA15 last night for 5 hrs and it worked fine in a 80 degree room set volume at 8. No problems sounded good.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. I'm very pleased for you :D