Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modded OLP MM2 vs Musicman S.U.B.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flexo, Aug 17, 2005.

1. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hey,

I currently have an OLP MM2 which is totally stock and i'm considering upgrading it. I got thinking the other day though,
    how much more it would cost to get a musicman s.u.b. instead.

The subs go for around $649 new, what do they go for used approximately?
    The OLP on the other hand would be around $200 to upgrade just the pickup and add a pre-amp (the seymour duncan set costs around $200 i think). So for a little more i could just buy a s.u.b.

Are the subs that much better than an OLP? Would it worth it saving a little more and splashing out for the sub instead? How close do the subs get to a genuine stingray too? What would be a reasonable price to pickup a used 4 string sub?

2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    remember - the SUB has the same pickup as the "genuine" stingray 4, so if you're after the stingray sound, it pretty much nails it on the head...
    quality-wise, the SUB would be better - i tried an OLP before i got my SUB and the SUB just felt more...right

i'd say SUB, but maybe i'm a bit biased... :)

3. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    oops - i didn't realise you had the OLP already - maybe consider the electronics upgrade, but if ur after the exact stingray sound...hmmm...
    $649 retail is the US price by the way - you're looking more at AU$1795 for a new one, but i got mine NEW down to AU$1300 w/case
    used - maybe about $1000? or a bit less?
    and for the new pickups/preamp, you're also looking at more like AU$400

4. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies resol.

I do realise that the price i gave was US prices. I've listed it in US prices for the sake of the US forumites and because it would probably be a fair bit cheaper to order it from someone like basscentral.com and have it shipped to Oz, or buy it from the US ebay.

I'm thinking i could maybe get $AU350 for the OLP if i'm lucky and then see if i can score a cheap sub off ebay. I'm just sort of wondering if it would be worth the added effort and cost?

As a side note, i've seen some of the subs around here priced around $AU1200 so the aussie prices may have come down a little too.

I'd also like to hear any other comparisons if people have done the upgraded OLP vs sub vs stingray test!

5. steal-o-matic

steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    i would also like to hear any olp tony levin sig vs SUB comparisons, after playing both and liking te neck feel of the regular olp
    that body spray dtuff on the SUB doesn't feel or look so good to me

6. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    bump!

Surely someone has done the OLP vs S.U.B comparison!? :confused:

7. There is a SUB that has been in my local music store for about 6months now, i played it, feels just like a stingray. The paint on the headstock had been rubbed off by the wall hanger it is on, but that can be excused due to the extreme amount of 'show-offs' that come into the store with their GF and 'try' to play it. I also tested an OLP MM2 at a different store through a laney 210 combo with 115 extention cab, umm, it felt and sounded nothing liek a stingray, but looked the job. Thats just my 2cents though (although with Australian prices it is my US$3.50)

8. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I have an OLP MM 2 with an upgraded pickup, and I've played the SUB several times.... if you prefer the active stingray sound, buy the SUB - it's as close as you're going to get without buying the real thing.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    im afraid I have to disagree, the SUB actually has a pickguard made from card. card!!

Im quite fond of the OLP, new pickguards fit it (MM style pickguards dont actually fit SUBs) and upgrading its preamp and pickup would be a very good idea in my opinion

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've owned both.

The SUB is a great bass. It plays well, feels good and sounds great.

I sold it to finance the purchase of my Thumb. I'm glad I did it but I missed the SUB so much I bought the OLP.

The OLP, when properly set up, like ALL basses, plays well, feels good and sounds great. Exactly like the SUB? No. But close enough to keep me happy until I get cash together for either another SUB or more likely a Stingray or Bongo.

11. jammoore

jammoore

Mar 28, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I decided Friday night, that I have to have a Stingray. Of course, my wallet has put certain restrictions on that becoming a reality. My question is this, a used Stingray is still going to cost more than a new SUB. Is there that noticeable and feel-able of a difference? Is there much difference other than the SUB tattooed on the headstock?

I may need to move this question elsewhere, but it looked like there are some SUB owners here.

Thanks, Jamie

12. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Esthetically the SUB is a different critter from a Stingray.

The pickguard, body finish and neck all have a different feel due to materials used or texture. If you don't like the way it feels how it plays or sounds won't matter. You wont be happy with it.

It felt fine to me.

All that being said, I personally feel that the SUB has an upper mid bite that the stingray can also have but with the 3-band active eq the Stingray is much more tonally versatile.

2 band eq used Stingray or new SUB? I would pick the SUB.

3 band eq used Stingray or new SUB? I would take the Stingray hands down.

13. Personally, I can't get over the horrid paint and pickguard on the SUB.

Have you considered or priced, putting an Ernie Ball pup and pre in your OLP? That would def. give you the MM sound.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's actually Formica laminate.

A thing of beauty it is not! :p

A Stingray pickguard is a drop-in replacement, though. Look at the picture in that thread I linked to.

15. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I actually don't mind the looks of the black or blue SUB, though the black one IMO is the only one that can reasonably pull off the pickguard. At worst all that means is a pickguard change.

So, having said that, i'm interested in more OLP vs SUB comparisons, since the actual stingray is way out of my price range! Would the SUB be a good step up in quality? WOuld it be worth the extra money?

16. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, if you have the extra cash laying around and new of a good deal on a used one I would go for it.

But if you are hoping to magically transform your sound into something the masses will bow down to you over, I would just hang on to my cash.

Aw heck. Dude, if you want it and you have the money, buy it. But if you can, try it before you buy just to be sure.

17. flexo

flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Hehe, its not like i have the cash lying around, i would have to sell the OLP, save a little bit of money and the scour ebay for a new one, so it will take some effort (the biggest hurdle being, trying to convince someone on ebay to ship a bass to Australia for me!). I'm just trying to get a few opinions on whether it'd be worth it!

Also, is it so hard just to get people to bow down to me? I mean, its not that much to ask! ;) :D

Seriously though, i didn't expect that, i'm just trying to see if all the effort will be worth it. I will also endeavour to try out a few subs if i can!

18. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i've got an OLP on the way that i picked up for $180, will it be as freakin sweet as my old '77'Ray was? hell no, but i can't stand the paint/finish on those SUB's. and i already have a Duncan Alinco MM p'up down in my workshop(used to be in my '77), plus, i use an outboard 2-band pre. so i just plan on dropping in the duncan, getting a new black pickguard(not a fan of tort, and it's on the discontinued natural finish model). the only other thing i may do is replace the bridge. i've got a spare gotoh 201 as well, i may try to install if the stock is as bad as i've heard. assuming the center screw hole in the OLP lines up with it's corresponding hole in the gotoh, i'd just have to pre-drill the other 4 to replace. anyone tried replacing the bridge on one of these with a non-musicman style one before? or am i just crazy :bassist:

19. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    ordered from ebay's dabootzman - "stringray" pickguard:
    [​IMG]