1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modded Squier P Bass (Classic Vibe or Vintage Modfied) vs. MIM or MIA P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bordinco90, Apr 1, 2015.

1. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    If you had to pick, would you take a Modded Squier CV or VM P Bass (pickups of your choice, bridge, pots, knobs, tuning machines or whatever mods you wanted) or a unmodded MIM or MIA? Now I know the MIA would probably win hands down in this situation, but I really think the Modded Squier CV or VM P bass would beat a MIM P. Thoughts?

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    My modded Squier classic vibe jazz compares or beats any mim fender ive played. Now keep in mind I got a good one and it took alot of tweaking to get it exactly right but it's great (especially with Dimarzio model j's). Compared to MIA Fenders its tough but I think if you put identical pickups in it set the same way 9/10 people would say they sounded the same within any kind of band context. The feel, on the other hand, is a bit different. The MIA's ive played tended to "rumble your gut" a bit more acoustically and they had a great neck profile if you like a little meat. The trick is you need a GOOD Squier which means waiting and sifting through a bunch and even then crossing your fingers that it will hold out on you. I bought a classic vibe P pass because I liked the jazz so much and when i tried to set the relief I realized the neck had a hump on the bass side around the 9th fret. Back to the store it went. I've seen fewer MIA's with these kinds of issues (fewer, not none).

Long story short, I think 80% of what makes people think a more expensive Fender style bass is better is the feel and setup. The sound can be made pretty close with pickups, tone caps, pots, strings, etc on similarly styled instruments but the feeling when you play it is unique to each bass. If your comfortable and feel good playing it you'll probably play better and sound like a million bucks.

3. I prefer CV's heavily over the MIM standards made before 2008, but the MIM standards they made from 1991-2007 I wouldnt take over a CV that I could mod to my preference. If I had to play a CV with only $100 worth of mods for a few years I could do it just fine so long as it wasnt stolen or had a bad neck etc. A pickguard swap, new pickups and pots and done, the bridge and tuners are solid.