Modding 1997 Am Deluxe V Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J fingaz, Apr 29, 2012.

1. J fingaz

J fingaz

May 24, 2007
    I'm thinking about buying a Fender '97 Am deluxe V jazz bass and the guy let me borrow it for a few days to test it out. Although I dig it, I wonder if It would be worth it to make some changes.

1. I have an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp 18 volt...Is it possible to put it in the bass and is that a good move?

2. What pickups would be a good replacement that can give me good growl without sacrificing that good slap tone?

3. Would it be a good move to replace the bridge with a badass bridge V?

2. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    1- Nice pre, but you'll need al least 2 stacked knobs and a switch to take advantage of the preamp, must se if there's enough space for all this

2- Dimarzio Ultra Jazz, EMG JVX

3- IMO This is not necessary, just for aesthetic purposes

3. J fingaz

J fingaz

May 24, 2007
    Anyone else?

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'd replace the bridge for a badass, but I like the high end and sustain out of them, some folks don't.

I can offer no good advice on the other two.

5. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    That's a five-inline, right . . . I'd swap the neck for a 4+1 . . . I just don't like the other. I have an Audere JZ3 on my Jazz . . . nice addition over the stock pups!

6. I had a 2007 MIA deluxe 4.

Here were my mods-
    -Hipshot A style bridge
    -Aggie OBP-3 18v wired V/V/M(p/p freq)/BT stacked -first V pot was also P/P for active passive
    -Hipshot d-tuner

I kept the original SCN pickups and it sounded freaking awesome after all the mods! If I were to change the pickups, I would have probably gone with Aguilar or EMG JVX's.

Go for it!

7. I do not believe this to be true for a deluxe model. Stock they come V,V,M,BT stack. When you add the OBP, the first V pot can be active/passive and the mid pot can pp to change freq.

I had mine wired like that and Brian @ the Lowend kept all the the original knobs!

8. I had thread the other day which was somewhat similar. You might check that out for extra input. I'm using my iPad right now and cannot figure out how to link to another thread but you can probably find it under my profile ...

I decided to stay passive (mine's an American std), replace pups with Dimarzio Ultra-j, but ordered a set of Quarter Pounders as well, and stick with original bridge ...

I'm having the black body refinished in a blue color and have ordered a tort pickguard :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021