Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modding a Boss ODB-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Has anyone ever done it? I mean, this beast recieves so many complaints about being noisy. (I don't like mine much either) But what can be done with it. I just figured instead of jumping right into building, I could look into modding.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thank ya sir. Truely a saint be ye.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This site is actually the beans4001.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Your not kidding, I was recording last weekend with it. It was so loud ruined my tracks :crying:

I would be interested to know your findings on odb mod's :)

5. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Indyguitarist is a member on a forum called www.guitargeeek.com, should you want to 'meet' him, as opposed to emails. :)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks. I noticed that it costs money for the mods. Money, I don't have. I've got to pay off my credit card, buy a video camera, then worry about rewiring my Peavey. So due to it's not freeness (no sound clips either. :( ), I give, I'll just use it when I want to sound bad.

7. I just recently got an odb3. My only qualm with it, is that it only does distortion.

But it's good to have another sound on hand.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bryan,

That's actually the major complaint the Overdrive Bass 3 recieves. It's not an overdrive at all, it's a fuzz/distortion effect. I usually like Boss effects, this one was quite the flop. It's alright as something very over the top, but it's still really noisy.

9. I have a ds1, so I use that for bass sometimes, and I do like a lot of boss pedals, but I am very picky about my bass distortion tones.

I was able to find a good tone on the odb3, and cound't on other pedals, so I figured I should buy one.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Strangely the phrase "I just figured instead of jumping right into building, I could look into modding" looked like "I just figured instead of jumping right into buildings, I could look into modding" for a moment. I was baffled by my new found love of confusing the hell out of myself.

11. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
  12. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    What is wrong with people. The BOSS ODB3 has it's own character, and that changes dramatically depending on you bass, amp, strings and the setting you use. It also changes in the front of house PA to your amp.

But this is true of all effects. Plenty of people like it for what it does and some don't. Thank goodness for that, I'd hate to sound the same as everybody else. I don't like active 6 string basses but I won't say they are crap because they aren't, it's just not the look and sound I'm looking for.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ha, I'm sorry, but at the beginning of your post, I pictured a room full of people talking about how much they hate the ODB-3 saying things like, "My word, I loathe the absolute overpowering noise in that awful contraption. Seems more fitting to be used as a hammer than a effect." Then we laugh and hold our martinies and tip our top hats.

Then you run into the room, out from the cold, but wearing only a t-shirt and jeans, but you have mud all over because you fell on your way over. Then you run right into the middle and scream, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

14. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I'm able to get a very nice sound out of it. Maybe (if i can find my 1/4" to 1/8" converter) i'll record my tone out of it.

15. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Finally found my converter, so here's the clip.

I start out dry, but it's with my sansamp on. Then I play the same line with the ODB-3 on. Then i **** around. If I am using the ODB-3, usually I do a lot of muting like i do in this clip, but usually a little less sloppy, seeing as it's 3:30AM here.

The tone I'm going for is a very chunky, and growly distortion.

Clip 1

And then with a cut of the treble, and flip of two switches on my Tobias, i get this old school fuzz (Or, what i'd like to think is old school).

Clip 2

16. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK

Sorry, I was a bit dramatic wasn't I :bag:

Matteran, what settings did you use on those clips? And I presume the Tobias is active?

17. The best mod for an ODB-3? Trade it for a Tubescreamer or a Big Muff.

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Funny thing is I like my ODB-3. I sue it for when our band covers tunes like Blue Monday(Orgy version sort of) or NIN tunes. It seems to fit best with industrial styles etc.

I also use a Sansamp for more warm grit.

19. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

Some people. Sheez.

:D