1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modding a Danelectro Daddy-O's EQs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Mar 25, 2013.

1. So, I'd like to upgrade my Danelectro Daddy-o with premium caps and resistors. I'm a real noob when it comes to modding, so I'm basically following a how-to. I always liked the pedal for bass, but I always have it run with the bass cranked and the mids and treble at minimum. I know these EQs could be a lot more usable with a simple mod. I'm not sure which caps(?) to replace but I'd like to change the Eq to a 48hz, 300hz, and 7khz instead of what is there already, whatever it is. Any help from you real modders? I'll keep you appraised with clips as I progress.

http://www.sugardas.lt/~igoramps/daddyo_schematics.gif

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I hate to be a naysayer, but it appears the Daddy-O is built with "surface mount technology" (SMT) construction. They're much more difficult to modify, I've heard of people doing it, but it's not something I would attempt personally. Sorry!

As an alternative, you could buy a kit for a Marshall Guv'nor clone and modify the tone stack for your needs. The Daddy-O appears to be pretty much a clone of the Marshall Guv'nor pedal... :oops:

You could socket the caps and resistors in the tone stack to let you try out different values of caps and see how they affect tone.

3. I have a couple links that ill post when I get home of how to do it. What's so tough about it?

4. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    If your's is one of the old yellow Daddy O's, it's not SMD. It good ol' normal size components with traditional soldering. I modded mine with a Kit from monte allums (http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#daddyo) with the tri-gain TNT mod was was pretty happy with the results. That being said, it's no longer on my board but still improved the pedal quite a bit.

5. Thanks. I think it is one of the big yellow ones, but how would I know without opening it up? That link is exactly what I was looking for before, and hopefully I can get some help on modding the EQ.

6. Can anyone help me change up the EQ on this circuit?

7. Chaddy,
    Did you ever mod the pedal?
    I have one of these pedals too but I haven't modded it yet. I wonder why you didn't ask whoever you bought the mod kit from about changing the EQ freqs. Since they know how to mod the pedal and what components to change, they might know how to change the Q of the EQ dials.

8. I never did the mod, sorry. I'm completely inexperienced and got distracted. Whoops. I temporary solution that I used until I finally just banished the pos from the board was I ran it through my MB CMD121's send, which splits the signal 50/50, giving me essentially a clean blend. Even still, it was not very nice sounding.