1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding a Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChrisCYWG, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ChrisCYWG

ChrisCYWG

May 22, 2006
    Winnipeg
    I am looking at adding a Fender P Bass to my arsenal (Specifically setup like Steve Harris) BadAss II, 1/4 Pounder, Flatwounds... now the question is... which bass should be the "victim" of the mods... is a Standard P Bass all thats needed? I see the American is double the cost (better electronics and bridge, and a graphite enforced neck) I'm looking at a White P Bass at a local store.. does anyone have a picture of the Electron Blue model? Is it similar to the Steve Harris blue before it went to the paint shop and came back white?

Thoughts, suggestions??

2. Steve Harris' P Bass (there is just one. He's had the same bass repainted some amount of times) uses a Maple fretboard. Some will disagree, but I think that fretboard wood does make a lot of difference. I would look in the used market for a decent used P bass with a maple board.

Most blues that Fender produce don't look like Harris'. Most are much darker, or lighter (like on the Highway 1s). I personally wouldn't worry much about the color, and just use whatever color you come across. But thats just me.

Harris did have a signature model bass with Fender for awhile, but they aren't made anymore, and are fairly hard to come by. But just keep an eye on Ebay for awhile, and maybe you'll get lucky.

3. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    and leave it stock. Just my opinion. If you're itching to mod, go with the MIM.

4. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    if you really want to hack one up, i'd get an SX and go to town on it. That's what i'm lookin' at doing. I won't feel bad about putin' a hurtin' on a sub-$200 bass as opposed to even a MIM fender.

5. Fretless Bill

Fretless Bill Supporting member

Sep 10, 2006
    Pacific NW
    +1 on the MIM Fender. You can pick one up used for a resonable price and the BA bridge and 1/4 pounders will pop right in. I own 4 MIM Fenders, all purchased site unseen and they all play great. The only real short comming I've seen with the MIM Fenders is that unless the pickups are US made or otherwise upgraded they can greatly benefit from a pickup up grade (which you're going to do anyway). One of my MIM Fenders is a Mark Hoppus and has the 1/4 pounder in it. I have it strung with flats and it plays and sounds great.

6. Not a bad idea. Just getting a LPB SX P bass with a maple board, putting on a BadAss II, a 1/4 Pounder, maybe new tuners, and you'd cop the same feel. Definatly lower Stock Build Quality than a MIA or MIM Fender, but with the upgrades you should get what you want for under...400$, probably.

7. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    You could always get one of the new Highway One P basses with a maple board. It will be equipped with a Badass already, all you need to add is a Quarter Ponder and flats and you’re ready to rock. However on the cosmetic side, I guess Dolphin Blue is about as close as you’ll come to the color of Harris’ axe.

8. The Highway One basses (both the older version and the upgrade) don't offer maple fretboards. Sorry.

9. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Guest

Feb 4, 2004

false, steve harris owns more than one fender precision bass. he actually owns a few mid-seventies fender precisions. though, his main bass, which was once blue with mirror pickguard, he calls "number one". last i heard, "number one" was white with his favorite "football" club emblem painted on it .......west ham united?

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The maple neck makes a huge difference on a Pbass (IMO). The good thing is that the modifications you talked about don't/shouldn't require any routing or drastic changes. I would look for an 80 CIJ Pbass, which I see for around $350-$400