Modding A P-Bass Copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomhunt96, Dec 24, 2012.

1. tomhunt96

tomhunt96

Dec 19, 2012
    Hey guys, im interested in modding my 'Gear4Music' P-bass copy. what with it being Christmas tomorrow im getting a Squier VM P-bass but i still love this p bass so i wanna mod it to improve tone, playability, durability Etc. any ideas?

bass basically the same as the photo aside from the Headstock which is conventional P shape

Attached Files:

2. Other than a good setup, the only thing I trust myself to do is replace electronics. Get some CTS pots and good wires (I prefer the push-back cloth) and get all of the grounding and shielding and replace the pickup or not... Some folks like the Squier P pickups. A higher-mass bridge would make a tiny difference and if the tuners are junky you could replace those.

Aside from that, you could get the neck and frets worked on, but I'd leave that up to a luthier.

3. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Use rounds on one and flats on the other. My personal choices for Pbass strings are DR Sunbeams for rounds and D'Addario Chromes for flats.
    Change the bridge to
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILKINSON-W...928?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item416f287640

I would have a luthier set it up and look it over. Things like the condition of the frets and the nut. You can also use this as an opportunity to learn basic setup by reading the posts on this classified.

Also you could read all day about P pickups on this forum. I am getting ready to try a Lawrence P-46. Dimarzio P's are nice and can be gotten cheaply by keeping an eye out in the classifieds. I have bought used pickups, strings and bridges from the talkbass classified.

Have fun :hyper::hyper:

4. tomhunt96

tomhunt96

Dec 19, 2012
    thanks guys :) tbh its actually a really nice bass for what it is, its served me well. i think i'll sticks some flat on it new Pup's and a high mass bridge. any recommendations bridge wise?

5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    +1

Great advice

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021