1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modding a squier pbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by airrick, Mar 26, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    im going to have this bass for a while, so i might as well put money into it. I'm thinking of getting new pickups, new bridge, black pickguard, what else is there and what brands shoulds i get?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    This is mine.

DSCF0514.
    DSCF0520.
    DSCF0503.

-Mark

3. i went with emg pick ups for my pj its now a whole new animal. it has d addario stainless strings. its black and im changin all the chrome hardware to black. check warmoth direct, bass parts resource, and stewart macdonald for some ideas of whats out there for your bass. good luck hotroddin.

4. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    what are the best pickups?

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Probably the best upgrade would be good tuners if the stock ones are at all questionable.

As for pickups, it depends on what you want tone wise. Vintage tone a Fralin or similar. Beyond that, there are lots of good ones. I love the DiMarzio Will Power Middle pups...intense midrange punch and no exposed polepieces to go clickity click when I play over the pickup with my fingers.

I've had a BadAss II bridge on my MIM P, I switched back to the stock bridge because I liked the tone and response better.

When you change the pickguard be prepared to redrill some holes...

You can always go nutty and replace the potentiometers, tone cap, etc.

And never underestimate the value of a good set of strings!!!

Have fun!!!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
  7. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    dimarzio will power pickups sound good-i will go with thoose for pickups, what about bridges?

8. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    and strings, also, what else is there to do? sound wise?

9. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    sorry for the triple post, but would it be ok to settle on dizmario splip p pickups as i can't find the other one anywhere

10. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Mark, that's a beaut! May I ask you a few questions?
    1. Where did you get that pickguard? I really like the color of the tortoiseshell.
    2. Did it fit your Squier or did you have to mod it to fit?

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    1. I ordered it from the Fender shop in Arizona. I ordered it through Central music up here.
    2. Fit perfectly. The pickups were a VERY tight fit, but nothing too bad.

Thanks for the comments!

-Mark

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm not familiar with that pickup. You can find tone charts at www.dimarzio.com. You can find pickup reviews here (there have been several P Pup reviews lately) in the Pickups forum. In addition, there are reviews at www.harmony-central.com in the Reviews section and at www.bgra.net

Personally, I like the stock Fender bridge, but the Leo Quan BadAss II is a great bridge as well.

Where are you located?

13. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    sorry i ment to say dizmario split p pickup, im in austin, and what about strings, and is it worth the money to get the bridge?

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    String wise, I love DR Hi-Beams. I have them on three of my basses (Elixirs on my fretless and TI Jazz Flats on my Epiphone Allen Woody). I like the softer feel and the tone.

As for the bridge...it's a tossup... I'd say try it without upgrading first and then if you want more sustain go for it. To my ears and hands, a P Bass with a BadAss II plays like an American P Bass strung through the body...both are great, just a little different.

15. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks for the response, Mark! Do you know if the pickguard is Fender brand? Or Squier? I'd like to order one just like it, if possible.

BTW, regarding your sig:

[​IMG]

He does!

[​IMG]

16. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  17. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yep. It's a '62 Precision Tort Shell Pickguard. Fits fine.

-Mark

18. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Thanks, Mark.

:)

19. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    bump

20. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    i couldn't find pckguards for my bass on that website, what is another site i could look at?